Chapter 14

I opened my mouth but nothing came out. I stood in Tristens entry way staring at him in shock. My mind went completely blank in the space of five seconds. Finally something left my mouth, "I don't know what to say,"

Tristen nods. "I know and I also know this is all new to you and I don't want to over whelm you with everything in one day. Like I said, you can take this information and do whatever you want. You can leave and never talk to me again or you can stay and maybe someday except what I am offering you."

I frowned. "But I don't even really know what it is your offering me." I told him.

"I'll explain it all to you but the reason why I told you this is because I don't want you to go risking your life." He took a step closer to me. I could smell the cologne he wears and feel his body heat, my heart rate picks up. "I care for you, more than a friend should. And I don't want to see you get hurt or worse killed."

I really need that fresh air now. My thoughts were scattered before but now that he took a step closer, all I could focus on is him. "I can't promise you anything, Tristen. I'm sorry but this is something I have to do." Turning the knob and pulling the door open a breeze swept across my face, giving me fresh air to breathe in. "There's a lot I have to think about."

Again Tristen nods and takes a step back from me. "I understand. Let me give you a ride at least."

"Okay," I turned around and walked out the door onto the porch.

***

The ride back to my house was silent. It wasn't to long of a drive but long enough to make the silence stretch out turning it awkward. Tristen turned on the radio hoping it would help. It didn't. When he pulled up to the curb outside my house I murmured my thanks and got out. Without looking back I heard his truck take off and I was left alone with my thoughts.

My mom was awake but heading out as I was heading in. Since she just started her job she got stuck with the sucky hours. That means working weekends. I gave her wave goodbye from the porch and watched her reverse then head towards the only doctor office in town.

Sighing I went inside. It's funny, when something happens all you want to do is to be alone and to get your thoughts together but when your finally alone, you don't want to be.

I walked into my room shutting the door behind me. I glanced around taking in everything. My twin sized bed that sits across from my closet, the doors open reveling my mess of clothes. My dresser leaned up against the wall beside the doors with my TV on top of it. My chair was in the corner by the window seat. And to my right is my bookshelf.

I walked to my bed sitting down on it and glanced at the picture that sat on my night stand. It was of me, my mom, and my dad. It was one of my favorites because it wasn't professionally done. We were on vacation visiting my aunt in Florida and we asked a stranger to take our picture. I was sitting on the railing, my mom and dad in front of me. My arms slung around their shoulders, the ocean in the background. I can still smell the salt in the air, the sound of the waves, feel the spray of the ocean.

So much has happened since that day. Since my fathers death. Since moving to Wickery Forest.

My thoughts wondered back to my first day here. The weird appearance of Victoria. Now knowing she's a vampire, that explain how she appeared in front of me. And the guy across the street. It still doesn't explain why I caught her attention. Or why Tristen left me to go see her on our date night. I have to make a mental reminder that I need to ask Tristen why they talked and what about.