Come Home Again

The next weeks fly by, with Trixie constantly recording her unreleased songs while I sit in the studio and draw mockups for the album art and her music videos. Her voice is angelic and it's such a nice change to hear her sing about things that actually matter to her. The deadline is nearing though, the album will need to be completed in a couple weeks, but she's still missing a couple songs to make it a full one.

"So what are you recording today?" I ask as I unpack my things.

"A new song." Trixie replies.

"You managed to write something new? Really? That's amazing, Trix!"

"Thanks, I'm pretty happy with it, I just hope you'll like it." She says.

"I'm sure I will, I've liked all the others, haven't I?" I say lightly.

"Well... this one's a bit more important... You see, it's about you or well... us."

"Us? You wrote us a song?" I ask in shock and joy.

"Yeah... I did." Trixie says shyly. 

She doesn't say anything more and neither do I, instead I just watch her adjust the mic and discuss some details with the sound engineer. Normally I wouldn't really listen intently to Trixie recording, only listen through once they had a semi-ready product, but today I keep my full focus on her from the start, anxious to hear what she's written.

"And I don't like it when you're never home
And I don't like it when I'm sleeping alone
And I pick up the phone just to call you again
You never say never but you never say whenBut I do, and I do like you
And I do, and I do like you

And I don't like it when you call me out
And I don't like it when you're putting me down
Just picking me up on a Saturday night
All 'cause you had to, had to be rightAnd I do, and I do like you
And I do, and I do like you

Why does the street get louder when it gets dark?
Why do I feel that sound in the pounding in the shape of my heart?
Oooh, oooh, oooh" Trixie sings into the microphone, a bright smile on her lips as soon as she begins.

I have to stop myself from laughing at the subtle contradictions in the lyrics that seem to describe our dynamic and never-ending discussions so well. Her stubbornness is so accurately presented, as well as my slight need to correct her and put her in place. 

"And I don't like it when I feel I've been hadAnd I don't like it when I go to bed mad
Just to wake up again in the middle of the night
Why do you leave, baby, why do we fight?But I do, and I do like you
And I do, and I do like you

Why does the street get louder when it gets dark?
Why do I feel that sound in the pounding in the shape of my heart?
Oooh, oooh, oooh" 

It feels so honest, a quality I've always admired in her self-written songs, but it also has a witty and playful character that sets it apart from the rest of the album.

"And I go away, but when I come home again
We'll find a way to go back and rebegin
Back way to the stars
Back into our hearts
We can win

Why does the street get louder when it gets dark?
Why do I feel that sound in the pounding in the shape of my heart?
Oooh, oooh, oooh"

As she sings the bridge I think back to how it felt when she first left home. I had always known she would leave, known that she had bigger things ahead then what our town could offer her, but it still felt heartbreaking when she finally did. I felt as if I missed my chance, like I'd never see her again, little did I know that I'd not only be working with her, but dating her. 

We found our way back home to each other, even if home is in a completely different city.
We found a way to begin again, against all odds. 
And I wouldn't have it any other way, 'cause God knows I do like her.