𝙲𝙷𝙰𝙿𝚃𝙴𝚁 𝙴𝙸𝙶𝙷𝚃

C E L A I L a C R O I X

"I guess I should get home. I don't think I'm upset with Kassima anymore," Celai says, glancing at the clock.

"I don't know why you were mad at her in the first place," Jayelle says. "She did you a favor by putting Julian's number in your phone."

Celai rolls her eyes. When she realized that she couldn't let go of what her mother did, she had Julian take her to Jayelle's house instead, and she spent the night. If she went home immediately, only the Lord knows how much damage would have been done to Celai and Kassima's relationship that night. It wasn't the first time Celai's mother barged in her love life; it was a common occurrence before she was saved.

"If he wanted my number so badly, he would've asked, that's all I'm saying," Celai responds, agitation in her tone.

"You're right. Anyways, it's getting late, you might as well stay until the morning. And it's supposed to snow later," Jayelle shrugs as Celai pulls out her phone.

She navigates to the Uber app. "Exactly, which means I should go now so I can beat it. I don't need to get in another accident."

Jayelle sucks her teeth. "Then get Julian to drop you off here on Thursday."

"You are so clingy," Celai teases.

"And what about it? We've been roommates since college and suddenly you leave to go live with Kassima. It gets lonely every once in a while."

"And that's why God blessed you with the cutest little six year old."

"Yes, but he goes to bed at 7:30. What am I supposed to do after that?"

"You can make my bedtime be eight o'clock."

The girls turn around and see Jayelle's nephew, Tyler, peeking behind the corner. "Boy, what are you doing up? You have to go to school tomorrow," Jayelle says.

"I wanted to say bye to Cece."

"She's not leaving."

"Yes I am," Celai counters.

Jayelle gives her a look that can kill and Celai stifles a laugh, knowing she's not helping.

"Ty, get back in that bed," Jayelle orders.

"I'm not sleepyyy."

"You will be when I count to three."

Ty doesn't seem to be fazed by her empty threats. "Can you read me another chapter in the Bible? Pleaseee."

Jayelle sighs and gets up. "One chapter and that's it. If you get out of bed again, I'ma tape you to it."

Ty giggles. "Yes ma'am." Jayelle follows him back to his room and Celai sets up for an Uber to pick her up.

By the time she finishes, Jayelle comes back to sit beside her.

"When did you become such a pushover?" Celai asks with a chuckle.

Jayelle frowns. "I'm not, I'm just trying to make sure Ty knows he's loved."

"He knows that," she reassures.

"He's been through a lot though, and I don't know if the bad has outweighed the good in his eyes." She sighs. "You know when I came back from New York on Sunday and I picked him up, he had scratches and bruises all over him? Every time I have to take him to his mom's house he comes back so upset and he once told me he wished I was his mommy. It's tearing me up inside and the only thing I can do is give him twice the love I have for myself. I've been praying to God for so long, and I'm not giving up, but I just can't keep waiting," she concludes