Chapter 10

"How did you guys find out the cure before us?" Nancy asked as we sat around skull rock. Eddie held me to his chest, my back resting on him as my hands rested on his forearms. "Oh!" Chrissy chimed in, stepping away from Billy's side. "They found out when I was being- um, Venca'd." I grimaced when she worded it like that, so did she. "(Y/n) found the cure." Billy stated as he placed his hand on Max's shoulder. Looking down at her he gestures for her to take her headphones off, which she does but not without rolling her eyes at him. "You got enough batteries for that thing?" He asked her. "Yeah, but a few extras wouldn't hurt." She answered. Billy pursed his lips and looked around us. "We'll need a few walkmans if we want everyone to be safe." He suggested. I felt Eddie nodding behind me. "We'll head to the store then- I'll buy them..." I trailed off when I noticed Dustin in the background pacing back and forth, mumbling to himself- was he cursed?."Henderson's not cursed is he?" Eddie asked. I turned around and looked at him with a small gasp. "I was just thinking that!" Eddie chuckled at me- pulling away slightly only to wrap his arm around my shoulder. "Cursed? No. No. He's fine... mental? Absolutely." Steve said, I chuckled but stopped when Dustin shouted. "Boom! Bada... Bada...BOOM!" Dustin shouted as he slowly turned towards the group. "I was right. Skull Rock is north." Dustin smuggle stated. Steve frowned at the teenager. "Seriously? You're serious?" Steve asked. Dustin smirk widens as he nods.

"This is Skull rock. Okay?" Steve clarified pointing at the giant rock above Eddie and I. "Yup." Dustin agreed. Steve dropped his arms and rested them on his hips. "You're totally, absolutely, a hundred percent wrong right now." Steve said, his voice was laced with confusion. "Yes... and no." Dustin said. I raised a brow at him, Steve looked around everyone and our eyes met. I shrugged my shoulders when Steve pointed his thumb at Dustin.

"Oh my God." Steve huffed and threw his arms up in the air before dropping them to his sides. "This worked correctly when we left the Wheelers'. Correct when we got in the car on Curly. But it started to slip the further east we went. Now it's way off. When I was leading us here, I wasn't wrong. The compass was." Dustin explained. "So you're using faulty equipment. You're still wrong." Steve said, like he was pointing out the obvious. "Compasses can't be faulty though." I chimed in, everyone turned towards me. I raised a brow at them when some of them looked confused. "Compasses follow the magnetic field of the north pole, they have no batteries or anything like that- so it's pretty hard for one to be wrong." I explained, Dustin smiled and held his hand out towards me. "Exactly! Lucas, remember what can affect a compass?" Lucas' eyes widened with realization. "An electromagnetic field." He stated like it was the obvious answer. "Yep. Sorry. I must've skipped that class." Robin said. Eddie and Billy chimed in raising their hands and saying 'Me too.' Dustin rolled his eyes. "In the presence of a stronger electromagnetic field, the needle will deflect towards that power. So either there's some super big magnet around here, or..." Dustin trailed off. "There's a gate." Lucas finished. "But we're nowhere near the lab." Nancy said.

"But what if, somehow, there's another gate? A gate that we don't know about. It'd have to be smaller. Way less powerful. Snack-size gate." Dustin said, "How?" I asked. "Why?" Billy asked. "No idea. All I know is that something is causing this disturbance, and the last time we've seen anything like it, it was a gate." Dustin said, looking around the group. "And I hope it is because then we'd have a way to Vecna." Nancy said.

"And a shot at freeing Max, Chrissy, and (Y/n) from this curse." Billy said, his hand resting on his sister's shoulder. Dustin nods and begins to walk away from the group. "Where are you going?" Steve asked, but with no response- he jogged over and grabbed Dustin's shoulder, stopping the teen from walking. "Hey, hey, hey, hey, hey. Eddie and (Y/n) are still wanted. We can't just go hiking in the woods." Steve gestured towards us. My shoulders tensed at the reminder, Eddie must have felt it resulting in him kissing the side of my head to ease my stress. "This little steel capsule might be the key to saving both Max, (Y/n), Chrissy, Billy, and Eddie. What say you, Eddie and Lady (Y/n) the Banished?" Dustin asked all of us. "I say you're asking me to follow you into Mordor, which, if I'm totally straight with you, I think is a really bad idea." Eddie said, Billy and Chrissy raised a brow in confusion at their words. I sighed, "They're talking in D&D." I mentioned to them they nodded and both formed an 'o' on their lips. "But, uh, the Shire... The Shire is burning." Eddie continued, Dustin smiled and jumped in place. "So Mordor it is." Eddie clapped his hands together- he held out his ring covered fingers towards me and I smiled. Taking his hand in mine as he led the way. "To Mordor!" I cheered. "What is Mordor?" Steve asked Dustin. The teen sighed. "Get your stuff, dude. Let's go." Steve rolled his eyes as we made our way through the forest. Dustin and Steve leading the group, Nancy and Robin behind them, Billy and Chrissy behind them- Eddie and I behind them with Max and Lucas walking next to us.