Prologue

Dedicated to Barmieh❤️

Lo, children are an heritage of the LORD: And the fruit of the womb is his reward. - Psalm 127:3 (KJV)

"Omena!" He heard his mum call for him

"Omena!" He heard his mum call for him. He knew she must have been searching for him everywhere and he was almost certain she had checked all his usual hiding places. That was the one thing Omena loved his house for; there were a lot of hiding places.

The two-storey building where his house was located had six flats, three on each side. His three-bedroom flat was located on the first floor. And he loved leaping from the stairs that connected the entrance of his house to the flat opposite his. The door to his house opened into a mini terrace before the door that led into the spacious living room. From the living room, the next room was the dinning area which had their dinning set and Thermocool freezer. The owner of the house seemed to have a thing with doors. So a door led to the kitchen from which many appetizing dishes were borne. And yet another door opened to a mini-sitting tool where only intimate family members came into. From the mini-sitting room, the three doors that led to each room could be seen. Doors were everywhere.

Omena's room was the closest to his parents while that on the far left was the guest room. All the spaces in the house were potential hiding spots for his favourite game of hide-and-seek. He could hear his mum's footsteps getting closer and closer. She always found him. Every single time. And it seemed this time would be no different. He could call it a mother's intusion.

Intusion? Well, I think that's what the word is.

Anyways, he wished he could say the same for his dad. The man never found him because he always checked the weirdest places. Like whose child would hide inside the kitchen shelf or behind the electronics? Definitely not him. But his dad seemed to think his only son would be that daring. Or should he say weird? And even if he was, he got it from his dad then. Because the man sure was one weird human.

Like the one time he had watched from his hiding place as his dad checked the middle of the sofa. He was even too big to hide in there. The memory made him face-palm and release a giggle. His chubby little fingers quickly transported themselves to clamp his mouth shut.

"I can hear you, Mena," his mum commented with laughter evident in her voice. "And I'm coming for you!"

Uh-oh.

All of a sudden, the curtain behind which he had been hiding was lifted and he heard a very womanly roar which made him scurry around the living room till she caught up with him and proceeded to tickle him.

"Mummy, stop," he giggled as he collapsed on the rug in the center of the room.

"Why would I? This is fun."

The sound of laughter continued till his mum also collapsed on the floor beside him, breathing hard.

"How come you always find me?"