Soccer Freaks

Taemin was sure that someone up there wants him to suffer. Why? Simply because his teachers have been giving him hell.  Like one time in English, he got distracted by some boys playing soccer outside (he swears he wasn't drooling at the sight of  a shirtless Minho) and the teacher just had to ask him a question to which he didn't know the answer. Luckily, Key had been sitting beside him and coached the boy. But somehow Taemin wondered if it was worth it after he had to go through the trouble of having Key look at him with judging eyes. Was it his fault that Minho was practically half naked?

The boy couldn't be happier as the subject ended and he could escape from Key's judging gaze. But, curse his inability to move on flat surfaces, he just had to trip and crash through the door of his next his class. Chemistry class had been a pain to go through. Not because he just embarrassed himself in front of his classmates, but rather Taemin could barely keep himself awake as the teacher droned on and on about matter, solutions and mixtures. It also didn't help that someone kept throwing crumpled papers to his head. Too sleepy to retaliate, the boy had merely dropped his head to the desk and slipped in and out of sleep.

That was basically his tragic morning, and now he found himself walking towards their spot for lunch. Since they often had different different subjects before lunch, the boys (namely Jonghyun, Key, Minho, Taemin and Onew, Taemin's cousin) decided to meet up at one of the trees that surrounded the school field.

Minho was first to arrive, as always, and was busy playing with a bunch of other boys. But when he noticed the blonde boy, Minho called out to him and waved. Taemin, who had his earphones on and in full volume, noticed him and walked towards the waving boy. There was an unfamiliar face in the usual palyers, Taemin noted, but paid it no attention. Minho was satisfied that Taemin had seen him and resumed playing with his friends. The new kid he noticed had managed to steal the ball from Minho with ease, and Taemin was impressed. Nobody could take the ball from Minho, but this kid managed to make it look effortless. Just like taking a candy from a baby. He stopped and stood at the side, observing the game, rolling his eyes at the determined expression Minho wore. Soccer freak. Taemin watched as the unfamiliar boy gave a particular hard kick, sending the ball in the air. His phone vibrated in his pocket and Taemin was about to take it out when heard a particular shout that made him look up.

The next thing he saw a ball aiming straight for his head. Taemin couldn't dodge in time. He let out a yelp as the ball collided with his head, knocking one of his earphones out. He heard a vague "Oh shit."  as the world spun and he found himself on his back. The boy groaned, one hand flying to his head to rub the sore spot, and closed his eyes. The sunlight seemed too bright all of a sudden.

"Oh shit. I'm so sorry, I ddin't mean to hit you." Taemin could hear someone talk, and he opened his eyes, making out a dark shadow above him, "You alright?"

"Really?" Taemin groaned in response, his eyes adjusting, as a handsome face came into view, "You just hit me with a soccer ball. On the face. What do you think?"

The stranger let out a laugh, "I think you're good."

Taemin noticed that his breath smelled something close to mint as the boy's breath fanned his face. He blinked. Wait, what?

He looked up at the person above him, eyes widening as he sat up immediately, knocking his head against that of the other boy.

"Dude!" The other boy cried out as he doubled over in pain, clutching his head. "What the hell?!"

Taemin couldn't respond, too busy clutching his head and cursing himself. "Ah, shit that hurt. So stupid."

"Tae!" Minho called out as he ran over to both guys who were practically rolling on the ground. 

He knelt beside his best friend, gingerly taking his face in his hand. The rest of the guys crowded around them, a few helping the other boy as Minho fussed over his best friend.

"Ah, Key is gonna kill me." Minho mumbled, gently inspecting the angry, red spot on the boy's forehead. "Does it hurt?"

"Ow! Minho." Taemin whined when the boy pressed a not-so-gentle finger against the sore spot, "It's red, I just got hit by a soccer ball and by an iron forehead. Don't ask stupid questions, you soccer freak."

"I don't have an iron forehead." The other boy, who was surrounded by his friends, interrupted.

Minho pouted, "You're so mean, Taem."

Taemin only snorted and rolled his eyes, "Help me up already."

The older did as he was told and helped the other boy stand.

"You gonna be okay, Chanyeol?" Minho turned to the new boy who had also stood up.

"Yeah. You better take your friend to the nurse though." Chanyeol answered back, "His forehead looks bad."

Minho nodded and picked up Taemin's discarded bag, slinging it on his shoulder as he wrapped an arm around the boy's waist, oblivious to blush spreading across the boy's cheek as he led him towards the school building. "Come on; let's get you fixed up before Key castrates me. You guys have a show later, right?"

"Hey!" Chanyeol called out, "Mind if I tag along?"

Taemin wanted to say No, absolutely not, you stupid ball-hitting, iron-headed jerk.  But no, Minho just had to let him tag along.

Stupid thick-headed, frog-eyed, soccer freak. Taemin cursed, Can't you see that we were having a moment back there?

But he didn't dare voice it out, and settled for gloomily walking beside the dense idiot who was busy chatting with the boy called Chanyeol about (surprise, surprise) soccer.

Stupid soccer freaks.