Cut the Sad Music

"I like you."

I watched as her eyebrows furrowed in confusion. Jesus, is it really that hard to believe? Maybe Taemin was right. Maybe it's too sudden.

"I like you, too, Minho."

I released a breath I didn't know I was holding as she cracked a smile, giggling softly. Well, damn. Okay, Minho. Breathe, god damn it, and calm down! Ah, who am I kidding? She freaking likes me!

"You do?" I asked.

Woohoo! She likes me! She freaking likes me! Take that, Taemin, you pessimistic brat! Points to Choi Minho for growing a pair and confessing. Well, I'll be. She likes me, she actually li-

"Silly boy,of course," my internal party was cut off as she laughed, reaching up to pat my head gently, "You're like the little brother I never had!"

"..."

...and cue the sad music.

Brother? A freaking brother? You gotta be kidding me. Damn it, Taemin is so gonna rub this in my face again. Cheeky brat.

I hate to say "I told you so" but, I could see a Little Devil Taemin (with horns and all) perched on my shoulder, smiling smugly, Hah! I told you so!

Why I ought to!

"Minho?"

Huh? Oh, right.

"Noona," I took a deep breath, shifting from one foot to the other awkwardly, "I like you.. like really like you."

"Wait, you mean like as in like like me" She squeaked.

Huh. I didn't know there was another meaning for like. But nonetheless, I nodded.

"I really like you. And uhm.." I coughed, "I was wondering if you'd like to go out with me?"

"..."

"..."

"..."

Well. Talk about awkward. What the hell am I supposed to do now?

"Look, Minho," I looked up in time to see her sigh and tuck a stray strand of hair behind her ear, "You're a great guy and all."

No, no, no, no, no.

"Any girl would be lucky to have you."

This cannot be happening.

"But I'm sorry."

Don't you dare say it!

"I like you, but not like that. You understand, right?"

Ouch. My poor heart. It's breaking. Oh, the horror! I'm dy-

"But.."

I watched, horrified as the next words escaped her mouth, seemingly in slow motion.

"We can still be friends, right?"

My life is officially over. Ladies and gentlemen, I, Choi Minho, have just been Friendzoned. Now excuse me while I go to my emo corner and cry my eyes out.

---

Taemin sighed for the nth time as Minho told his "heartbreaking" story of rejection for what seemed like the millionth time. He squirmed uncomfortably, arm starting to get numb from how tight Minho was holding on to it as they laid on Taemin's bed. Minho snuggled close to his side, refusing to let go. Taemin sighed again, wincing as Minho held on to his arm tighter. He was hysterical and Taemin was tempted to just gag him because, as much as he wants to comfort his best friend, he'd rather not go deaf from Minho's unnecessary whining.

"Taemin!" Minho whined for the umptenth time, "What am I gonna do?"

Taemin could only sigh and pat Minho's back comfortingly as Minho buried his face on Taemin's neck.

"There, there." He cooed, as if talking to a child, "You know there are plenty of fish in the sea."

"What does fishes have to do with this?" Minho stared at Taemin as if he had grown another head.

Aish, this idiot! Honestly! Taemin felt like smacking Minho. But he held back and forced his twitching free hand to rub soothing circles on the elder's back.

"Taemin," Minho drawled, "Fix it! Make it feel better!"

Taemin's eyebrows rose. "What?"

Minho pouted, looking up to him with teary, pleading eyes."You're good at fixing and making things better," He mumbled against the smooth, milky skin of Taemin's neck, "My heart... fix it."

At this point, Taemin felt genuinely sorry for his best friend.

"If I could, I would."Taemin mumbled, his pale, slim fingers running through Minho's soft raven locks, "But we both know I can't, Minho."

He heard Minho sniff and-fucking finally-let go of his arm, only to wrap his arms around Taemin's slim waist. Taemin felt heat spread on his cheeks. He laid completely still, refusing to succumb to the radiating heat of the body curled around him.

"Hey, Taemin..." Minho quietly called,tangling his legs with those of the younger and burying his face on the other's shoulder.

"Yeah?" Taemin breathed.

"Thanks..."

"What for?" Taemin settled for looking up at the ceiling of his room, trying to calm his racing heart.

"For everything." Minho mumbled, "For listening, for being there for me even though I know I can be too much to handle sometimes."

Taemin forced a laugh and uttering the words he never thought he would say.

"That's what friends are for right?"

Friends. That one word stabbed into his heart repeatedly until nothing was left. To Minho, they were friends. Oh how Taemin wished they were more.

Minho chuckled and hummed in agreement.There was nothing but silence and the sound of Minho's breathing slowly turning deep and even. Taemin turned his head slightly to look at the sleeping boy beside him. With a sharp intake of breath, he tilted his head back towards the direction of the ceiling and closed his eyes. A lone tear escaped his closed lids and he took a shuddering breath.

Why do I even like you, you insensitive idiot?