Chapter 5

A loud thud made Sierra almost jump out of her skin. In fright, she broke the point of her pencil against the book page, her head snapping at the door. Her ears perked, listening for further movement, but only silence followed.

After a moment, she put the book down and tiptoed towards the door. She cracked it a little, ready to peek out into the living room when she heard Emma's voice. "Hey, Sierra?"

She sighed, relieved, stepping out into the living room and seeing Emma by the front carrying two grocery bags. "You're back?" Sierra said more of a question.

"Yup," Emma responded as she rested the bags on the kitchen counter. She turned to Sierra with a smile. "Missed me?"

"Probably." Sierra returned her smile, a blush appearing along with it.

Emma's smile widened. She didn't know why that made her feel good or made her stomach warm, but it did and she was enjoying the feeling. "How do you feel about mac and cheese?"

"That sounds perfect."

Sierra sat at the kitchen table and watched Emma by the stove as she made their mac and cheese. Her long, dark hair waved loosely down her back, cutting off in a sharp line above her waist. She was wearing a black jumpsuit and a black biker jacket when she returned from the store, but now the jacket was missing, leaving her in just the jumpsuit. It clung tight to her, showing the curvature of her body and the rise of her bottom.

Emma glanced over her shoulder and smirked when she discovered Sierra admiring her. She had a feeling the blonde was staring. She could feel Sierra's eyes burning holes in her back, something that was very hard to ignore.

"Still with me, Sierra?" She teased, a playful tone in her voice.

Sierra gulped, her face flushed with embarrassment as she met Emma's eyes. "I wasn't checking you out or anything. I swear."

"Of course not." Emma went to the kitchen table with two bowls of mac and cheese in her hand. She handed one to Sierra as she sat down.

They ate in silence, and when they finished, Sierra helped Emma clean up. "Now, we train."

Sierra frowned but dragged herself behind Emma toward the sliding doors. It opened out onto a small wooden patio. A few dusty patio chairs hung to the side, an end table collapsing between them. An old wooden staircase gently led them down to the yard. The stream came into view and so did the fresh scent of the running water as it flowed to the lake.

Emma breathed it in and sighed, watching the water flow. She wondered if there were fishes or river prawns they could catch. She would have to check later, but right now she needed a suitable spot to kick Sierra's ass.

She found a spot on the grass and laid down her mat. Turning to Sierra, Emma found the blonde admiring their surroundings too. Her eyes were wide with wonder and glinting with curiosity. Usually, Emma wouldn't disturb her, but they had something to accomplish today. Just as Sierra started towards the water, Emma caught her by the arm. "Focus."

"Right." She went and stood on the mat, but her eyes lingered on the water for a second before they found Emma again.

"What are we doing?" She asked, bewildered as Emma circled her.

"Hit me."

"Excuse me?"

"You heard me. Hit me and don't hold back because I won't."

Sierra swallowed, hesitating to start a brawl despite her opponent's wish. She was smarter than to just rush in and hit her. She could get her ass handed to her like that. She studied Emma's stance, noting how the woman was on guard and prepared for anything. She wanted to catch her off guard when she least expected it. But knowing Emma, that was impossible.