Chapter 6: A Sense of Distress

Raven POV

The next morning I arrived at the Quidditch field with the other Ravenclaws ready for tryouts. I noticed familiar faces of last year's team. "Alright everyone, listen up!" Eve spoke clearly and loud enough for everyone to hear. "We have three positions open for you all to try out. We need two Chaser's and one Seeker. So let's see what you got!" 

We all got on our brooms and took to the sky. Most of whom tried out for Chaser weren't doing so well. Jasper's a good Keeper. Wallace, and Forrest were good beaters, though they weren't hitting them as hard as they usually would. Most of the Chaser tryouts would only score one or two times. It was time for another boy to try it. He was a fourth year named Roger Davies. He managed to score four out of five. Eve looked impressed, as was I. It was my turn next.

"Alright, Raven, show me that your not all talk." Jasper mocked in a friendly manner.

"Oh, I'll make you eat your words." I taunted. As I flew to the goal posts while dodging Bludgers, I recalled what mum said during training.

"Now remember, Little Bird, the key to not getting dizzy when flipping and spinning is to maintain a constant speed. You don't want to accelerate or decelerate, or it'll throw your body off. Also be sure to keep your eyes sharp and focused. You don't want them to bobble around in your head. This is key during both Quidditch and when dueling."

When I got to the goal post I spun twice and threw the Quaffle with soaring speed scoring. Jasper looked shocked as he just stayed still on his broom. "Jasper, don't just sit there!" Eve shouted. I gave him a smirk as I flew back into position. I continued to fake him our and trick him while spinning and flipping. I managed to score five out of five times. I was a little dizzy after doing all that, but not as bad as I was last year. I then flew over to him.

"So, how'd those words taste?" I joked elbowing him a bit. He chuckled.

"You weren't kidding." He said with a surprised face. "You really learned some stuff over the summer." When then flew down to join the others.

"That was impressive, Raven." Eve said happily. I had a smile on my face as I saw everyone looking at me impressed. Others were patting me on the back amazed as well. "Alright, now as it stands, Raven Mordecur, and Roger Davies will be the team's new Chasers." Eve said to everyone. "Congrats guys." I walked over to Roger.

"I look forward to playing together." I said sticking my hand out.

"Likewise, Raven." He said shaking my hand. "Pretty impressive moves you got." He said smiling at me.

"Thanks." I said as we let go.

"Alright, now to anyone who wants to try out for seeker, meet me in the air." Eve said as she and a few other flew into the air. Roger and I were watching while leaning up against our brooms that were afloat. Most that attempted to be Seeker lost the snitch and couldn't find it until someone else pointed it out. We were having a bit of trouble getting a seeker. 

As the others were flying around searching for the snitch I heard something come my way. Roger didn't seem to notice it. On instinct I swiped my right hand in front of me catching something. Roger then look at me. I opened my palm to find I got the snitch.

"I found it." I said snickering a little while holding it with my fist up.

"Geez, Raven, I saw you catch that." Jasper said as I turned to look at him. I honestly forgot he came back to the ground. "It was so quick, like a reflex. Do you want to play Seeker too?" He asked.

"He can't play two positions at once unfortunately." Eve said gliding down to us. "But still it's pretty impressive. If our Seeker isn't able to play when the game starts, we could have you take the position. I just hope we actually get a Seeker today."