Chapter 4: The Fraud

Raven POV

As we left the castle to go to the greenhouses, I noticed Ron and Harry were not in good moods after Ron's Howler. They looked really down. Ron was down because he was worried about what more trouble he would be in when he got home, and Harry was guilty about getting Mr. Weasley in trouble at work after him and his family had shown him such nice hospitality.

As we neared the greenhouses we saw the rest of the class waiting for Professor Sprout. We saw her making her way towards us as she had her arms covered in bandages. Lockhart was accompanying her. "Oh, hello there." Lockhart called out to the class. I groaned and rolled my eyes. Hermione seemed to be beaming with excitement. "Just been showing Professor Sprout the right way to doctor a Womping Willow! But I don't want you running away with the idea that I'm better at Herbology than she is!" Lockhart said. 

Good god does he ever shut up. I thought to myself. "

I just happen to have met several of the exotic plants on my travels." He continued until Professor Sprout cut him off.

"Greenhouse three today chaps!" Professor Sprout said, clearly getting annoyed by Lockhart. As she unlocked the door and opened it, she stepped in with students following. Harry was the last one to enter just after me. He was about to step in when Lockhart grabbed his shoulder.

"Harry! I've been wanting a word-you don't mind if he's a couple of minutes late, do you, Professor Sprout?" Lockhart questioned. And by the scowl look of Sprout's face she did mind, as did I. Before Lockhart could say or do anything more I acted.

"She does mind." I said grabbing Harry, and pulling him away from Lockhart and into the greenhouse. "As does Harry and I." I said glaring at him and shutting the door in his face. He had look of shock as I did.

"Thank you, Mr. Mordecur." Sprout said. I gave her a nod as Harry and I made our way to an empty spot.

"Thanks, Raven." Harry whispered.

"Anytime." I whispered back.

"Alright class, today we'll be repotting Mandrakes to day. Now who can tell me the properties of the Mandrake?" Sprout asked.

Hermione immediately rose her hand. Sprout gave a gesture to Hermione to answer. "Mandrake, or Mandragora, is a powerful restorative. It is used to return people who have been transfigured or cursed to their original state." Hermione answered.

"Excellent. Ten points to Gryffindor." Sprout said. All the Gryffindor's looked happy at this. "The Mandrake forms an essential part of most antidotes. It is also however dangerous. Who can tell me why?" Sprout asked.

Hermione quickly rose her hand in the air and answered. "The cry of the Mandrake is fatal to anyone who hears it."

"Precisely. Another ten points to Gryffindor." Sprout praised. Now, the Mandrakes we have here are still very young, so their cries won't kill, but they will knock you out for several hours. Now everyone put on earmuffs sitting next to you." Sprout instructed. Everyone put them on. 

"Now you want to grab the Mandrake by the root of it's head and pull." Sprout said as she pulled the Mandrake out of it's pot. When she did it was crying. Even with the earmuffs on, we could still hear it. It would definitely be louder without. "Then you want to put it in the other pot and fill it with fresh soil." Sprout instructed. Neville got dizzy and fainted. I could see most of the class laugh. "Longbottom's been neglecting his earmuffs." Sprout said.

"No, ma'am, he's just fainted." Seamus said.

"Yes, well...just leave him there." Sprout said without concern. "Alright, now all of you pull your Mandrakes and repot them." Everyone grabbed their Mandrakes and pulled them up. There were a lot of loud cries in the greenhouse. Draco was tickling his with his finger until the Mandrake clamped it's mouth over Draco's finger. I snickered as he struggled to get it out.