Obsession

The room was dark, and smelled like it hadn't been aired out in quite a while. Cobwebs had collected in every corner and a layer of fine dust lightly graced everything in the room. An old fireplace mantle sat centered on the far wall with a large mirror hanging over it. Two bookshelves stood at attention on each side, and in front of the mantle sat two old leather chairs. One looked as if it had been used recently, the other still looked new under the dust. Everything seemed as if it was all set up like a stage play. And sitting in front of it all, on the other side of the room, was a simple ladder-backed wooden chair with a drowsy occupant tied securely.

Mrs. Edie.

She slowly started to come around with a moan. When she tried to move, the reality of her situation sank in as she discovered that her hands were bound to the arms of the chair, just as her feet were bound to the legs. This shocking realization had her eyes snapping open as she frantically looked around. Wild-eyed, she began to struggle to free herself, but to no avail. Her struggling also brought to her attention the gashes on her arms and knees, and she hissed as they burned with her movement. Not sure of the extent of her injuries, she decided to stop struggling in the off chance of making them worse. She sat quietly for a moment and studied the room around her; looking for an escape route should the chance present itself. Not seeing a door, she realized it must be behind her. She tried turning her head to look but the movement caused her head to swim, like she had been drugged. Perhaps she had, if her headache was any indication. As frightened as she was, she knew she couldn't just sit there. Who knew how long it would take for someone to notice that she was missing, or how long it would take her assailant to return? She knew she had to try.

"Help!" she tried screaming, but her voice came out as a hoarse croak. She cleared her throat and tried again. "HELP! CAN ANYONE HEAR ME?! PLEASE HELP!" she yelled again. She listened for a moment for a response, silently pleading for someone to hear her. Someone did, but the response she got wasn't what she was looking for.

Footsteps.

She wasn't alone.

"Who are you?" she asked, her voice shaking. "What do you want?" The footsteps stopped and her only answer was silence, which just frightened her more. Her fear spurred her on. "What to you want with me? Please let me go!" she begged. The footsteps came a few feet closer, and then stopped again. As her eyes adjusted more to the dimness of the room, she could make out a shape in the shadows. Whoever they were made sure they stayed in the darkest corners so as not to been seen, like a demon lurking. But the voice that spoke to her was anything but menacing.

"I hear you dearie. There's no need to shout." The voice was calm and melodic with a lilting Irish accent and surprisingly feminine.

"Who are you? Why have you kidnapped me?" Edie asked, her fear causing tears to streak down her cheeks.

"All in due time, love." came the response. "But first, what you say to getting to know each other a little better, hmm? How about a little quid pro quo? I'll answer one of your questions for every one of mine that you answer. Sound fair?"

"I don't know anything! And even if I did, why should I tell you? You bloody attacked me!"

"Tsk tsk Edie. You're not being very nice to me, which is so unlike you. I've always known you to be kind and courteous, and everyone else who knows you says that you're just the sweetest thing. I'd hate to have to visit them again to tell them just how wrong they were."

"What? Visit who? What are you talking about? I don't know who you are so how can you possible know me?"

"My my, that's four questions and I have yet to ask my first. But I'm feeling decidedly generous at the moment, so I will answer one just to show you just how serious I am." The figure took one step closer and Edie saw that they were holding what looked like a stack of papers in their hand. Bending down, they placed one sheet flat on the floor and gave it a firm push so that it slid across the few feet separating them and stopped at her feet. Looking down, Edie saw that it wasn't just any sheet of paper, but a photo. She instantly recognized the subjects.