A Reason to Celebrate

Sherlock opened his eyes to the muted light streaming in through the covered windows. He felt warmer than usual, and when he looked down he remembered why. John was still with him, his head on Sherlock's chest and their legs were intertwined. His breathing was slow and even, with soft snores punctuating every so often. Sherlock stored that information away for later, knowing that he will enjoy teasing John about it.

He looked around and tried to judge what time of the morning it was. He listened to the bustle going on outside the door and guessed that it was during shift change, so that meant approximately 7 o'clock. He knew that it also meant that someone will be in fairly soon for his morning check-up and to bring him breakfast. He looked at John again and wondered if he should wake him beforehand, but then decided against it. Besides, he would wake up soon enough and Sherlock was loathe to end this time they spent together.

The telly was still on from last night and the morning news was just starting so Sherlock positioned himself where he could watch it without disturbing the sleeping man beside him. About 45 minutes later came a quiet knock at the door, and the aide who had been there the night before stuck her head inside.

"Good Morning! Are we awake yet?" she asked quietly.

"Half of us are, yes." Sherlock answered, just as quietly.

She opened the door a little wider, allowing the light from the hallway to spill inside the room. As she entered, carrying a tray, she finally saw the scene before her: two grown men curled around each other in the tiny hospital bed. She instantly pursed her lips in hostility. Sherlock just held a finger to his lips.

"Please let him sleep." He whispered, squinting because of the light.

"This is your bed, not his!" she hissed.

"I slept better because he was here." Sherlock insisted, instantly coming to John's defense. The aide just stared for a minute. "Please."

After a minute more her features softened up and she sighed. "Well I guess it's alright then. He does seem to bring out the best in you." She remarked. "And anything is better than your behavior yesterday."

Sherlock grimaced. "Yes, about that....I do apologize. I promised John that I would be on my best behavior for the staff, as well as the other patients around me. Please forgive me Ms....?"

"Edith, dear. But you can call me Edie. Don't worry your little head about it. I've dealt with much worse although they didn't have the happy results I see before me. As long as he doesn't interfere with your care in any way, I'm happy to let him sleep wherever he chooses." She replied with a smile. "You two do look so cute and cozy. If you don't mind me asking, how long have you been together?"

"Not quite 24 hours yet, but we've been friends for much longer." Sherlock answered.

"Ah well that explains the glow coming from you. New love always has that affect on people. Take my advice dearie....make it last as long as you can. Once the "newness" wears off, you'll want it back. But enough of that. You need something special to mark this milestone!"

"Well I'm limited in my options at the moment." Sherlock replied, gesturing at the room around him.

"I know! How about a nice photo of the two of you cuddled together? I can take it on my mobile and print it for you at a shop just down the street. It'll be back to you by luncheon."

"You would do that for me?"

"Of course dear. I guess I'm just a romantic softie at heart." She pulled her mobile from her pocket. "Alright then. Cuddle up close."