17

--17--

--17--

*Flashback*

"Do you like Christmas?" I asked Colby out of the blue. He and I were laying in his bed, facing each other on the brink of slumber. His room was dark, almost pitch black if it wasn't for the nightlight he had bought for me illuminating the ceiling. It also lit up the side of his face just a little bit, letting me see him when I asked the question.

He let out a soft moan, then replied after numerous seconds, "Like, the season? or the day." he asked in a groggy voice, barely audible. I held a smirk back, not wanting to make him cocky by letting him know I found it hot.

I hummed first, and then responded after thinking. "The day, I suppose. Can't escape the cold but I do think the day is avoidable."

Colby's eyelids eventually lifted, and his blue eyes met my grey ones. Though someone mentioned they have been hazel recently, and the non-realistic side of my brain thinks its because of the happiness Colby has brought me. But then I tell myself, its just the lighting.

"Isn't it a bit late to be pondering these kinds of things?"

The way he didn't give me an immediate yes or no answer lets me know he wasn't sure if he wanted to answer the question. Then he wrapped his arm around me and I turned over so my back pressed against his chest and he was able to fully engulf me in his embrace. I settled in quickly and then responded.

"Was just wondering.." I trailed off, no longer caring now that Colby was holding me. It seemed his hot breath hitting the back of my neck was enough to soothe me into exhaustion.

I didn't think he was going to answer.. but then he did. "No, I don't." His voice was quiet, but thankfully for his mouth being near my ear I heard his fine. He kissed the back of my head and I shivered.

"How come?" I asked, again, not expecting a clear answer. I could feel myself drifting away.

"You're tired darling, you wouldn't remember my answer tomorrow if I gave you one." He soothed.

I smiled softly, "Then you don't have anything to lose by telling me, oh keeper of deep dark secrets." The exhaustion gave me some sass, I convinced myself. Though I think the title suits him well. Well enough to make him laugh a bit.

"Yeah yeah.." he chuckled out. Then after some silence he gave me a clear answer, "There was one person I spend Christmas with, darling. And.. and then the world took them from me, and I haven't quite moved on."

Immediately I assumed it was Ana Lee, her being the only name I truly know from his past that he has ever held feelings for. But then again, he could be speaking from a time way before even coming to La. He lived in Kansas most of his life, and I have yet to unlock that far into his past. Especially with understanding how hard it is to even talk about those kinds of things. I have stayed patient, but it is talks like these that really make me want to know more.