Chapter 2

Over the next couple of cycles, Inferna spent repairing and tinkering with various projects

Over the next couple of cycles, Inferna spent repairing and tinkering with various projects. Ultra Magnus had left a little while ago to attend the high council's next session. 

But once he returned, it seemed like the whole world flipped upside down.  

Inferna usually didn't look at newsfeeds, because she didn't care. All she was concerned about was what she had to repair or build for the Guard. It wasn't her problem about what was going down somewhere in Iacon, or Kaon, or Vos, or even the Badlands. 

So when Ultra Magnus and the other 35 members of the Elite Guard arrived back looking haggard and nervous, she knew something was amiss. 

Inferna went up to Ultra Magnus, discarding her tools on a nearby table. "What happened, Commander?"

He turned to her. "Haven't you been reading the newsfeed?"

"I don't read those."

"Then I suggest checking them out."

Inferna crossed her arms. "Why can't you just tell me now?"

"Just look at the newsfeed."

Inferna rolled her optics and went to her datapad, bringing up the newsfeed on it. "High Concuiler Hagon dead," she read aloud. "Killed by famed gladiator Megatronus, as known as Megatron."

She heard about Megatron due to some of the other engineers talking about him. From the metal bowls of Kaon, the Kaonian gladiator inspired many with his words. Though it was said that he, and his organization named Decepticons, were responsible for the multiple bombings around Cybertron. 

"Keep reading," Ultra Magnus told her.

"Megatron then declared war against the newly appointed Prime, Optimus." Inferna's voice faltered as she reached the end of the sentence, her servos trembling.  "You have to got to be kidding me."

"Afraid not." The commander's shoulders sagged. "Don't worry, you'll be safe. I swear upon the Allspark that I'll make sure of it."

"I'm not worried about myself. I'm worried about Cybertron as a whole. The last war that happened destroyed a few cities, but a war on this scale, with Cybertronians picking between two sides will be devastating."

Ultra Magnus nodded. "I realize that. As does Optimus."

Inferna set the datapad back onto the table where she had picked it up, fidgeting. "So, I guess I'll be stuck in the armory, making weapons for the Guard, right?"

"Not just the Guard, but the Autobot faction as well. You'll be working with other engineers, mostly from Iacon, Cyrstal City, and Nova Cromun."

Inferna fidgeted some more. "Is it possible that I might be able to be on the front lines- and repair the soldier's weapons from there?"

Ultra Magnus's expression darkened. "Absolutely not."

"Why not? I'll be more of use there than being here with the rest of the engineers."

"Because I said so." He turned away from her. "Be glad that you will not have to experience the horrors of war."

"But-"

"This isn't up for debate, Inferna." Ultra Magnus sharply told her before walking away to attend to his duties, leaving Inferna standing there by herself.

"I am not going to be stuck with Lunarquake and the others in the armory for the next couple of stellar cycles!" She muttered aloud.