Lift me up

Illness wasn't uncommon. So many people cramped up into such little space. Even before the wall Maria, some plagues would ravage the land and its people but it had been some time since there was anything like that. The Scouting Legion was never affected much by the bugs and colds that would wash around from town to town as they kept mostly to themselves. Occasionally a cold might spread after new recruits joined. So on the few occasions where a scout would get sick, they knew how to deal with it. Everyone had come from somewhere so it wasn't as if they had no resistance. Erwin was surprised to see that of all people to get sick from their latest batch of recruits was Levi. Erwin and Mike had plucked the small man from the sewers of Sina only three years ago and Erwin had yet to see Levi take ill; assuming the man had gained a resistance from being surrounded by so much filth and sickness.

But there Levi was; collapsed against Erwin's chest with his forehead burning, looking, somehow even paler than normal. Levi had been assisting Erwin with his paperwork, a duty that his unique rank didn't require but felt some obligation towards when he passed out. Erwin bent low and heaved Levi up into his arms to carry him back to his room. Erwin knew he must have been quite ill to not regain some consciousness and protest Erwin's assistance.

Once they reached Levi's room, Erwin set him down on his bed; being as gentle as he could but Levi was heavier than one would think from his size. Erwin rested the back of his hand against Levi's forehead once more and felt that it had gone up in temperature. Erwin removed Levi's boots and jacket before leaving the room to fill Levi's water jug with cool water. Upon returning, Erwin poured some of the water into a small watching basin and soaked a hand towel to rest on Lev's burning forehead.
Levi's chest rose and fell quickly; too quickly in Erwin's opinion so he removed the rest of Levi's clothing, save for his shirt, and then covered him with a blanket. He didn't want to leave Levi's side but knew better than to not let the doctor know of Levi's ailment.

Hendra virus the Doctor had told Erwin. It was rare in humans but common in horses and could be transmitted. Erwin offered thanks to whatever gods would take them that it was treatable; though he was warned that there had been the rare death in humans from it. Levi was strong; he wouldn't let something curable kill him. So Erwin stayed the night in Levi's room once the doctor left to order a vaccine, telling Erwin it might take four or more days for it to arrive and that Levi would need to be looked after until then.

Erwin woke every few hours to change the cloth resting on Levi's head and to make sure that he was still breathing. By morning Levi still hadn't woken and Erwin was unwilling to leave his side to tend to his duties or breakfast, all he cared about was making sure Levi was ok. Erwin felt some responsibility towards Levi's illness for the very reason no one else had caught the virus; it was once of the vaccines trainees got after enlistment. As Erwin had plucked Levi and had him placed right into the Scouting Legion with his two friends, they never got all their shots.
By noon there was a knock on the door and Erwin thought it impossible for the vaccine to have gotten here so quickly. When Erwin opined the door, hoping to see the doctor he instead found his two other friends; Mike and Hanji.

"We heard about Levi and when you never showed up to breakfast or lunch I had it on a good guess that you were playing nurse to him"

Hanji walked in past Mike, carrying in a food tray, and shoved it towards Erwin.

"Go eat something and take a break, We'll help you look after Levi so you don't have to look after him twenty-four seven all on your own; even if you want to"

Hanji have Erwin a playful wink once Erwin took hold of the tray and sat down with might on the small couch in Levi's room.

"Thank you"

Erwin gave a small but genuine smile to his friend and set the tray down on an end table and pulled up his chair to it so he could eat. Once he was finished the three of them set times when each would look after Levi until he at least regained consciousness; though Erwin told them that he would be the only one to wash Levi. Hanji got up and pulled on Erwin's arm to drag him out of Levi's room well Mike took the next watch.