Runt

A: N - Rated T for language because, well, Levi.

- Levi/Erwin based
- Set before S1
- Pov changes between Erwin and Levi but each block is separated so it's not confusing I hope. I never write like this I'm sorry
- excuse me I'm still crying over Levi/Erwin

!mention of assumed self-harm but no self-harm takes place!

-----------------------------------------------------

It was one of the coldest days Erwin had ever come to witness. Some were saying it was going to snow, some were saying it was too cold to snow, either way, it was really, really cold. He clenched his fists, hoping to keep his fingers from turning completely blue as he made his way to his office over the icy cobblestone path. He walked in, finding Levi sitting in an armchair, deep in thought.

Very rarely was Levi not in Erwin's office in the afternoons or evenings, regardless whether he was in a good mood or not. Good days, he would be there, reading in silence or helping Erwin with plans - he was excellent at pointing out flaws in Erwin's plans. Bad days, he would obsessively clean from corner to corner in silence or throw himself on the couch and complain about whatever was bothering him. Either way though, Erwin enjoyed his company.

"Good evening, Levi." Erwin smiled, shrugging off his cloak.

Levi visibly started, his eyes coming out of their daze and falling on to Erwin. "You're back late."

Erwin looked over him, seeing his tense shoulders and fidgeting fingers. Something was bothering him.

"The meeting ran over." He explained. "A certain officer began rambling."

Levi nodded but didn't acknowledge the tactful jab at Hange, which was strange. Erwin sat at his desk, shuffling through the papers on top to find one that might interest his Captain. He glanced up, seeing Levi staring at the wall in silence again. He raised an eyebrow.

"Something on your mind, Levi?"

Levi started again, his head snapping towards Erwin.

"No." Levi replied before standing. "I'm going to bed."

Now both of Erwin's eyebrows were raised. This was odd behaviour by far. "This early?"

Levi shrugged and began to leave. Perhaps he wasn't in the mood for company this evening.

"Well then, goodnight." Erwin gave him a quick smile.

"Goodnight." Levi threw over his shoulder.

In the history of spending time in each other's company, this had never happened. Levi had never gone to bed - never on his own accord. Erwin had to force him every single time and it would never be this early in the evening.

Working would be a different kind of silent now, and the more he went through his papers, the more he began to fixate on the same sentence over and over again, unable to concentrate on anything other than the lack of a certain presence. He sighed and put the paper in his hands down onto his desk, leaned back in his chair and looked to the ceiling. When had he become so... obsessed with this man?

Erwin let out somewhat of a curse under his breath before standing, the creak of his chair ringing out in the silent room. It was evident he wasn't going to get any more work done until he could completely clear his head, so perhaps a walk would ease him.

It was fucking cold.

It was cold and there was a cat looking sad and Levi couldn't find it in his heart to leave it tucked under a wagon, shivering and desperately trying to find warmth. He sighed loudly, his breath fogging in the air and he removed his cloak, immediately regretting the decision when the chill struck his bones. The cat, undisturbed by his obvious dismay at his own feelings, looked at him but didn't move when he began to approach, cloak folded in his hands.