07: Preparations

[Camilo; 15 year-old]

I woke up with a start of my alarm clock going off. I tapped the alarm clock and it turned itself off.

Groaning, I stretched my arms and crack my back. I turned my head to look at the calendar to see that it is my little brother's birthday today, which also means that he'll be getting his gift!

I jumped out of my bed and went to my closet to wear my signature brown slacks, white long sleeved shirt, and yellow ruana with chameleon patterns on it.

Looking at my hand mirror, I stare at the same face that [Name] loves. "Muy guapo." I told myself with a smirk.

Suddenly, three rhythmic knocks from my door made me turn my head over it. I mentally slapped myself for almost forgetting the family's tradition.

Every time a Madrigal is having a gift ceremony, the second youngest must start the day by singing a song about the family.

When Mirabel turned 5, I had to sing a song about the family and it was fun! No wonder why Dolores and Isabela told me to practice the song properly, it is a very fun tradition that is passed down and you only have one chance to write your own lyrics and sing it with pride and joy.

Since Antonio is getting his gift, the second youngest is Mirabel, so it's her turn to make and sing a song. Maybe that's why she's been ecstatic and humming the same tune everyday.

I went out of my room to see mi prima opening her hermana's door while singing the song and dancing.

"This is my family, a perfect constellation!" She sang before moving out and sang to Luisa who is running down the corridor with barbels. The tiles acting as a small conveyor for her to run. "So many stars and everybody gets to shine!"

"Whoa! Let's be clear, Abuela runs this show." She continues to sing as Abuela exits her room with a smile, her posture expresses nothing but pride and happiness.

All five of us went into our positions and spin as soon as Abuela fully exited her room.

Isabela, Luisa, and Dolores doing the same dance, whereas Mirabel and I do our own dance.

"Woah! She led us here so many years ago."

We took turns grabbing our special coffee. This coffee specializes in keeping us active throughout the day since we always skip breakfast on gift ceremonies.

What can I say? Abuela wants everything to go perfectly, so skipping breakfast to help the town is a must. Then in the afternoon, every person available in town gets to help us prepare for Antonio's gift ceremony.

We could have use this coffee everyday, to be honest. However, having no actual meal at the start of the day is still unhealthy so we only use it whenever a Madrigal is having a gift ceremony.

"Woah! And every year our family blessings grow."

I watch with a proud and happy smile at my cousin. I like what she did with the lyrics, she made it so uplifting and upbeat. I wonder how she will sing about all of us?

My cousin noticed my proud gaze and her smile widened. "There's just a lot you simply got, to, know, so!"

Mirabel opened the front doors and we exited in two lines, going down the hill and into the town. While walking down the hill, I looked back to see if Mirabel is still with us.

I chuckled at my cousin who is walking backwards and is waving to Casita goodbye, still singing of course.

"Where all the people are fantastical and magical, I'm part of the family, Madrigal!" She sang and turned around to catch up to us.