Chapter Nine

Chase looked back and forth between Justin, Ryder, and the dalmatian. "Wait, what?"

"This is Marshall," Justin explained. "We're going to take care of him for a while."

"Bu . . .but for how long?"

"Until we find him a home of his own," Ryder replied. "He didn't have one, like you."

"This is going to be fun," Marshall expressed.

Chase looked at the dalmatian. Something about Marshall's smile made him uneasy. It wasn't threatening in any way, but it seemed restless. It reminded Chase of himself the first day he met Ryder. He didn't like that comparison.

"Chase, could you give him a tour of the tower?" asked Ryder.

Chase sighed. "Fine," he replied. "Let's go, Marshall."

"Okay," Marshall said as he got up.

Marshall followed Chase around the tower as he pointed out. "Over there is the entrance of the tower. Right there is the cliff overlooking the town, and over there is the bridge."

"I like it," Marshall commented. "It's very . . ." Marshall tripped on a rubber ball. It bounced up and hit the back of Chase's head.

"Hey," Chase said. "Watch it."

"Sorry," Marshall said as he got up. "I'm kinda clumsy." He didn't know why Chase was angry, but he kept that to himself.

"Whatever," Chase said. "Let's go. Dinner's coming up soon."

After the tour, Chase and Marshall met up with Ryder for lunch. "Where's Justin?" asked Chase. 

"Oh, my dad had something to do, but he'll be back later," Ryder explained as he grabbed the food. "How did the tour go?"

"Okay, I guess," Chase replied. "Nothing too special."

"Uh huh," Ryder said. "And you, Marshall? What did you think?"

"I like it here," he replied. "It feels cozy."

"Well, I'd hope so. You'll be here for a while."

"So, erm, dinner," Chase interrupted.

"Here you go," Ryder said. He set a large bowl of dog food in front of the pups. It was twice as big as Chase's normal bowl.

"Why is it so big?" Chase asked.

"Because it's for the both of you," Ryder replied without turning to face them. He was pulling his food out of the fridge, where his mom put it.

Great, Chase and Marshall thought. Now I have to share food with him. They awkwardly took turns getting some food until there was no more in the bowl.

After that, Justin arrived to pick them up. "Time to go home for the day," he said from the driver's seat of his retired cop car.

"Where are we going?" asked Marshall.

"We're going to my house," Ryder replied.

"Oh, ok," Marshall said. Ryder opened the door and Marshall hopped in, followed by Chase. Ryder closed the door and got into the passenger seat. Justin drove away from the tower as the street lights turned on.

Chase and Marshall stayed clear of each other. They sat on opposite sides and faced their windows.

Chase didn't like that someone new appeared out of nowhere, and his owner cared for them. Last time that happened, Chase got abandoned on the streets of Adventure Bay. Could that be happening again, he thought. No, I won't let it happen. I won't be abandoned. Not again.

As Marshall looked out the window, he thought about his past. If it wasn't for Ryder and his dad, Marshall would have been back at the shelter. When they agreed to take him, he couldn't be happier. But now, he isn't sure how he feels. At first, he was glad to hear that they had another pup, a German Shepherd named Chase. He was the first German Shepherd Marshall ever met. He was told that they grow to be bigger than dalmatians.

When Marshall first met Chase, he thought he finally found a friend, but Chase gave him a sour face. He seemed displeased when Marshall tripped. He didn't know if they would like each other. Marshall also didn't see Chase as the fun kind, which Marshall didn't like. He didn't want to go back to the shelter. Okay, Chase won't cause that, he thought. I won't let it happen. I won't go to the shelter. Not again.

"Hey," Chase said, which pulled Marshall back into reality.

"Huh, what?" Marshall said.

"We're here, come on," Chase said as he got off. Marshall sighed and followed him. Justin opened the door and they entered the house.

"Nice house," Marshall said as he looked around.

"If you like the inside, you should check out the back yard," Ryder replied.

"Maybe tomorrow," Ryder's mom said. "It's time to go to sleep."

"Marshall, this is my mom," Ryder explained.

"Nice to meet you," Marshall said.

"Pleasure's all mine," she said. She turned to her son. "You have to go to sleep, young man."

"Yes, mom," Ryder said. "Come on, Chase. You too, Marshall."

Ryder got into his pajamas and got ready to sleep. He tapped his right side, and Chase jumped onto the bed next to him. He spun in a circle and laid down.

"Marshall, want to sleep up here?" Ryder asked.

"Um, sure," Marshall replied as he hopped on the bed. He spun in a circle and laid down. He and Chase locked eyes. They looked away from each other. Neither one knew what the other one was thinking, but they both knew the same thing. They weren't going to be alone because of the other. No matter what. After ten minutes, their eyes got heavy and they fell asleep.