Chapter Two

~Many years earlier~
Chase (younger Chase) was just waking up. He looked around and noticed that he was on a dark brown seat cushion. Chase loved being inside the car. The back seat was of his (previous) owner's red truck.

He sat up straight and looked forward to his owner, who was driving. He wore a white tee, a black baseball hat, and glasses. He kept his eyes on the road in front. In the passenger's seat was a woman Chase had only seen a few times. Her black curly hair was pulled back into a bun, revealing her dark-toned skin. She was looking out the side window at the passing citizens.

Chase looked out the window. He recognized the area as Adventure City's center. Chase remembered driving through there when Chase and his owner went to the park. Now that he thought about it, he hadn't gone to the park in a long time. The last time he went was before that mysterious woman appeared.

"Are we going to the park?" Chase asked his owner, wagging his tail. He looked at his owner, who kept his eyes forward. The truck stopped at a red light, and his owner took off his sunglasses. He wiped his eyes, looked at Chase, and put the glasses back on.

Chase could sense that his owner was distressed. Chase compared the feeling to when he had to choose between eating or continuing playing. Chase had to leave one to do the other. Chase wasn't sure what that was about. But he figured everything would get better at the park.

Chase got on his hind legs to look through the truck's rear window. He enjoyed watching the car behind him. He liked to imagine they were friends who wanted to go play at the park with him and his owner.

Chase noticed a cop cruiser rush by with the sirens on. Most dogs would cover their ears to the sound, but not Chase. He thought the cop car was incredible. Chase wondered what it was like to go that fast down the busy streets.

Chase's right ear perked up as he heard a clicking noise coming from the dashboard. His owner once told him that the noise came from 'signal lights going off.' Chase didn't know what that meant, but he smiled whenever it came on. He felt the car come to a stop on the side of the road.

"Are we at the park yet?" Chase asked hopefully. He jumped to the front of the truck and let himself get picked up by the woman. She opened the door and carried Chase outside.

Chase's smile faded when he noticed the large buildings surrounding him. This isn't the park, he thought. The woman put him around, and Chase looked around. People crowded the sidewalk. Some glanced at him, but they kept walking.

Chase heard the door close behind him. He turned around to see the car begin to drive off. They must have forgotten me, Chase thought. He ran after the truck, but he was not fast enough. The vehicle turned the corner, which was the last time he would ever see the car.

Chase was breathing hard. He didn't know what to do. He looked up at the skyscrapers on the other side of the street. The buildings loomed over Chase. Chase realized how much bigger the world was. He was small compared to his surroundings. He was defenseless and weak against the troubles of the real world.

Chase ran through the city streets. The sun began to set behind the buildings, so Chase knew he would have to find shelter. Chase tried to smell his way back to his owner, but his nose was useless against the different scents in the city.

Chase walked into an ally between two buildings. He found a cardboard box flipped on its side with an old shirt inside, so he entered the box and lay down. He tried to sleep, but he couldn't.

Chase's eyes stayed open all night. He watched everything that happened during the night. A cop car passed by with the siren blazing. A group of dogs ran from a woman carrying a leash for each one. He watched as families walked by.

For two weeks, Chase was forced to scavenge for food and shelter. During the night, he rested in the cardboard box. During the day, Chase walked around the city, looking for his old home. He didn't want to believe that his owner would abandon him just like that.

Chase began walking back to the cardboard box one evening as the sun fell behind the buildings. He tried to think of why his owner abandoned him. Maybe I don't deserve a home, he told himself. I must have done something wrong.

Chase turned the corner into the alley and stopped. Three grown dogs tore through the trash cans. One of them noticed Chase and turned to look at him. He was tall and skinny. His fur was black except on his belly and snout. Chase guessed that he was a Doberman.

"What are you looking at?" the Doberman growled. His voice was sharp and jagged, like a knife run against concrete.

That got the attention of the other two dogs. They looked up and Chase. One was tall and gray with bloodshot eyes. His legs were longer than his body. Chase guessed he was a Greyhound. The only dog was shorter with shaggy white and brown fur. A tooth stuck out the side of his mouth, so his lower jaw was more to the left than his snout. Chase didn't know what kind of dog he was.

"N . . . nothing," Chase stuttered. "I just want to go to sleep."

The Doberman looked at the cardboard box with a used shirt. He smiled at Chase. "I'm sorry, go ahead."

Chase got them feeling that the apology wasn't sincere, but he cautiously moved toward the box. When he got a foot away, the Doberman launched towards Chase. Chase, luckily, moved out of the way just in time. The Doberman crushed the box and stood up.

"I got a better idea," the Doberman said. "We teach you a little lesson. It's every dog for himself." The three dogs simultaneously ran towards Chase.

Chase ran down the street and turned the corner. The other dogs were faster, but thanks to passing pedestrians, Chase was able to stay ahead of them.

Chase kept running for ten minutes before he turned around. He didn't see the dogs, but that didn't make him feel any better. Chase had nowhere to rest for the night, and from the smell of moisture in the air, it will rain soon.

Chase was paying attention, and someone accidentally stepped on his tail. He yelped and looked around. All around him, people walked around, paying no attention to the young German Shepherd.

To avoid getting stepped again, Chase moved with the crowd. He didn't know what to make of his situation. When the people departed, Chase realized he was on the street. Chase looked up to see a large white truck driving in his way.

Chase closed his eyes, waiting for the impact that never came. After a count of three, Chase opened his eyes to see a boy next to him. He had his hand in front of the van, telling the driver to stop.

"I'm Ryder," he said. "You can trust me."

Chase didn't know what to do. He didn't want to go with a stranger. The boy's smile was warm and sincere. Chase built up enough strength and walked toward the boy. He didn't know that the decision would change his life forever.