Proxemics

Proxemics is useful if you want to figure out how close you are to someone.

Personal space
When a stranger in a que or sitting next to you on a park bench, you feel uncomfortable right? But if it was a close friend/family/partner you wouldn't really acknowledge it. This is because of personal space and proxemics

If you want to find out how close you are to someone/ if they like you or feel comfortable around you, look at the distance between yourself when your talking, if you're within  1-4Feet radius, this indicates that the person is comfortable around you and sees you as close, if you are 4-9 Feet this person feels comfortable around you but not too comfortable to see you as a close friend, more like an acquaintance or a borderline friend. If this person is 9-12 feet away from you this means this person does not recognise you as a friend but more of just a stranger or they don't feel comfortable around you in the slightest.

How to make people feel more comfortable around you:
If you are looking at someone's phone to fix a problem or something like that, after you have finished you take a step back to where you were before you needed to get close, the other person might not feel as comfortable around you if you stay right next to them and they might feel as if their personal space is invaded, and nobody likes to feel like that.

If when taking to someone you recently met, you can tell if they enjoy talking to you by proxemics, if when they talk to you they lean in and out this means that they are quite nervous/ cautious. But if they are quite close and not moving around too much it means they enjoy talking to you and don't feel the need to have any Barriers up or feel threatened in any way.