17

March 4, 1970

They had been in LA for just under a month. The move had had a muted response at best.

Robin had reacted as though Stevie was telling her she was moving to Mars. She did everything to convince her to wait until after the baby was born, quite rightly pointing out that major life changes such as this could be stressful which could hurt the baby. Stevie countered that nothing was more stressful than the idea of Lindsey, the man she loved, her musical soulmate and the baby's father, being so far away. Robin had argued that LA was expensive, and there's no way her parents would continue sending her a monthly allowance once she dropped out of college. Which brought her onto her next point - Stevie by this time had stopped listening and was packing boxes of her stuff - she was almost done with her diploma, why not just finish it?

Stevie reminded her that graduation was in August and that she would be 8 months pregnant. The gowns certainly covered most sins but this was one she wasn't sure she'd get away with. She had already been planning on take some time out anyway, she could go back to college anytime she'd need it. Not that a speech communication degree was going to help her become a rockstar. Robin gave up, accepting the inevitable on the condition she was allowed to visit them most weekends.

"Obviously," Stevie had replied. "Babe, I'm not about to live the rest of my life without you by my side at all times. You're going to be coming on world tours with me in a couple of years."

Robin had always loved Stevie's absolute faith in herself.

Her parents, as expected, had told her they'd be cutting her off. They'd been good about it though, saying that of course they still supported and wished the best for her and no, they weren't at all comfortable with the idea of her living with Lindsey after such a short time and without being married and working but yes, he was a "nice boy" and his mother had made just about the best peach cobbler her father had ever tasted at that one potluck dinner dance they went to last year where Fritz had performed (remarked with a hint of jealousy).

The most supportive reaction, surprisingly to Stevie - she really should trust Lindsey's judgement more - had been from the O'Briens. They had asked an awful lot of questions but Lindsey had charmed them into his way of thinking. Stevie would call every week, and in between if there were any developments, they were more than welcome to visit any time and could attend any appointments hey wanted to go along to. Despite Stevie's protests, Nat had written out another check, citing how expensive living in LA was and he wanted her to be able to have what she needed.

And so it was, 5 weeks later, Stevie was cleaning their one bedroom apartment, waiting for Robin to arrive on her first visit. The place was spotless and dinner was in the oven. Despite herself, she was actually enjoying playing house. Lindsey was gigging most nights and she had picked up a job behind a bar at the place at the end of the street. They'd both get home late, collapse into bed and wake mid morning the next day. Almost every day they made love (Stevie was very much still in that phase), wrote music together, and then Lindsey would go out to "network" before his gigs and she'd do the housework, take Ginny for a walk,g and get ready for work again. Domesticated bliss.

She jumped up at the sound of the buzzer. Picking up the receiver, she laughed at her best friend's unmistakeable squeal and squealed back before buzzing her in to the building. Robin must have sprinted up the stairs because within seconds Stevie heard a hammering at the door and threw it open.

The girls hugged each other tightly, laughing. It was good to see Robin. She knew no one in LA, and whilst she was making friends at work, it just wasn't the same. No one there knew she was pregnant for a start. Mercifully there was no uniform so she was able to wear her staple outfits of a-line mini dresses or loose blouses over jeans. No one had a clue.