10

January 28, 1970

"So, what do you think?"

It had taken a week to find time where she could get them both together. She wasn't going to go through it all more than once, so she'd wanted to tell them what she'd decided to do at the same time.

Her best friend and the father of her baby looked at each other for a moment. Robin hadn't been in the least bit surprised to find out Lindsey was the one who'd gotten Stevie pregnant. In fact, she'd just come right out and said she knew it was him one day when they were alone in the kitchen.

She took Stevie's hand across the kitchen table.

"Honey, you know we're behind you, 100%"

"But?"

"It's just, it's a very hard thing to do. To go through all this, physically and emotionally. You're going to bond with the baby," Stevie sighed. This was the books talking, "not to mention the fact that everyone will know. How do you explain it to your parents? You won't be able to hide it soon."

She was right about that. Stevie's whole body was rapidly changing. She'd had to buy bras two sizes up already, and she was struggling to get her pants over her hips. At night she would look at herself in the mirror and could see her usually flat stomach was slightly rounded. She'd allowed herself to rest her small hands on her belly, wondering about the life growing inside of her. She'd giggled softly as she visualised a tiny baby complete with a full head of curly black hair. And bright blue eyes.

"So you think I should have an abortion then?" Robin winced slightly at her abruptness. She had been raised strict Catholic, and whilst she had kept her opinions to herself Stevie knew she wanted her to keep the baby. The books were a dead giveaway, for one thing.

"I didn't say that. It all comes down to you. You know that it does. But I do think that going through this whole pregnancy and not having a baby in your arms at the end of it will be tough on you, Stevie. You're a romantic, you live in a world of dreams and ideals. And whilst I love that about you I just think...I just think you'd be putting yourself through a lot. Lindsey?"

He had been sitting in silence. For the first time, he was being forced to confront the reality of all this, and it was hitting home. On some level he'd been in denial. He'd noticed the change in Stevie physically, and even though she'd had no interest in sex at all for the past few weeks, he was incredibly aroused by her newly fuller, softer shape. So from his perspective it had been all good. Now he was being hit with the cold facts. This time next year, he could well have a child to provide for. Students and struggling musicians do not make ideal breadwinners.

A selfish thought crossed his mind. He resented her. Her and the baby. This could ruin everything. He was especially pissed with Robin. This had fuck all to do with her and yet here she was, trying to convince Stevie to keep and raise the child herself. This would have exactly zero impact on her life.

He shrugged. Wrong move. Stevie burst into tears and smashed the coffee cup in front of her on the table.

"This is fucking typical! Of all the fucking deadbeats in the world to knock me up, it had to be you, didn't it?! Can't even say anything! You don't even care! Fuck you, Lindsey!"

As she flew from the room, Robin calmly turned to Lindsey and smiled kindly at his shocked face.

"Hormones. She blew up like this yesterday because she squeezed too much toothpaste out of the tube. She'll be ok. Maybe try to be a little more sensitive though," she suggested, quietly picking up the broken pieces on the table.

Lindsey let her calm down a few minutes, helping Robin to clean up. When they were done, she nodded encouragingly to him and he went up to Stevie's room.

"Leave me alone," came the muffled voice in response to his knock on the door.

"Stevie, I'm sorry. I can't begin to imagine what you're going through. My mind is spinning so yours must be - I don't know. Please baby, let me come in. I need to talk to you."

There was a pause. The door opened slightly and he walked in, closing it behind him as Stevie was already flopping back down on the bed. She lay with her back to him, facing the wall. He perched awkwardly and she flinched as he placed his hand on her hip.

"Do you remember the first time we met?"

Silence.

"California Dreamin sounds a real mess without that harmony part, huh?"

Silence.

"You know, if I'm honest, I fell in love with you there and then. It didn't matter to me that you were a senior, or had a boyfriend. None of that. You were perfect. And when you sang...do you remember how everyone stopped and looked at us? And then you kissed me on the cheek and I kn-"

"I never kissed your cheek."

Got her.

"Yes you did! Don't you remember?"

She rolled onto her back and looked at him.

"Lindsey, Dave was right there. Do you honestly think I'd go around kissing juniors in front of my boyfriend?" She was smiling.

He leant forward and kissed her shoulder.

"I'm sorry I upset you. I do care. It's all I can think about. I just don't know what to suggest. From that first day I knew I wanted us to be together, and now it's finally happening...we should be staying up all night talking and planning our amazing future. We should be laughing every day. The biggest decision we should have to make is what movie we should go and not even attempt to watch because we're too busy making out. This is all...it's huge. It's one of the biggest things that can happen to anyone and it's happening to us two months in. That's all. And I'm sorry because I should be putting your feelings first."

"No, no. This is happening to you, too. I need to remember that. I know it's not what we planned," she began to cry again, "but I'm just trying to do the best thing. For everyone." Her hand found it's way to her belly. "They're really good people, Lindsey. They have so much love, you should see them fussing over the kids every time a family comes in."

He linked his fingers with hers, feeling the growing bump for the first time. A warmth filled him.

"Well, perhaps I should see them, then. Let's meet them together."

He bent down again to kiss her shoulder. This time she twisted her head and met his lips with her own. It had felt like a lifetime since they'd been this close. So much had changed in just 3 weeks.

She moaned into the kiss as she realised how much she'd missed his touch the past few weeks. Careful not to put any weight on her belly, he positioned himself over her and his fingers drifted up her skirt, finding her already warm and wet as she parted her legs.

He moved down the bed to remove her panties and caught a glimpse of her, so delicate and inviting. Lifting her legs onto his shoulders, he gently kissed the soft lips. He heard her gasp above him and she shuddered slightly as he licked her folds, opening her up to his warm mouth.

Her fingers entangled in his hair as he found her clit and took it in his mouth, sucking and nipping at it in the way he knew she loved. She responded, pushing her hips up to him as gutteral groans escaped from her involuntarily. He used his fingers to alternate between gently stroking her inner lips and curling them inside her, pressing against her g spot. She was shouting and bucking uncontrollably now. The whole house could probably hear her cries of ecstasy but she was beyond caring as she came, clenching over his flicking fingers.

"Lindsey..." she whispered as her eyes fluttered closed.

"I love you, Stevie."

"I love you too, baby," She murmured as sleep began to descend.

He kissed her head and turned to leave.

"Lindsey?"

"Mmm?"

"Steph. Call me Steph."