Walter Andersen

I unloaded the dishwasher with Vincent’s help. He did the bottom rack and I did the top. Vincent was quiet as per usual.

            “So how does this work, exactly?” I asked. I realized then that Vincent would have no idea what I was talking about.

            “What do you mean?” he wondered.

            “Frisbee in the rain,” I clarified. I was tired of the silence. I had to get him talking.

            “Just like regular Frisbee.” Vincent shrugged. “Except there is mud and rain. A lot of the time, my brothers get a little carried away and start pushing, tackling, or wrestling in the mud—so don’t wear anything nice. It gets pretty muddy.” He reached high to hang one of the pots above the counter. “We go into town, to the park, and play. The grass there isn’t really grass—mud mostly, especially in the winter.”

            “That sounds like a good time,” I admitted.

            The Kitchen door swung open then, revealing a very hyper Lilly. When she got to working, she was like a humming bird, always moving. She looked at Vincent and me for a moment before speaking.

            “Jasmine, dear, can you and Walter go to the grocery store tonight? I am pretty swamped with this new case and James is out of town again. I’m sorry to have to ask you to do this, but you have taken over cooking for the family and it just wouldn’t be right asking anyone else to go. Walter is tagging along for financing and the muscle work. I am afraid your last name wouldn’t pass when they check your identification for the credit card,” Lilly rambled.

            “Yeah, Of course I’ll go,” I told her.

            Lilly pulled the sleek plastic card from her bra and slid it over the counter to me. “This will save our stomachs. I will tell Walter to come and get you when you both are ready.”

            Lilly turned quickly for the door but she stopped to grab the counter.

            “Are you okay, mom?” Vincent asked, concern on his face.

            It was a moment before she answered. “Just turned too quickly—I got dizzy for a second. I’m good.” Lilly fluttered from the Kitchen with a smile of reassurance.

            I looked to Vincent who looked to me. We both shrugged and went back to putting dishes away.

            It did not take long for Walter to come collect me. Vincent said he would finish unloading the dishwasher when I was gone. He also agreed to wipe down the counters when he was finished.

            Walter and I rode in his 2011 Chevy Camaro; it was bright green with black racing stripes.

            “How are you doing today, Jasmine?” Walter asked, grabbing a shopping cart. “How is school?”

            “I am doing quite well,” I told Walter. “School is… I think Zach might be getting jealous that I am spending so much time with Charlotte. But classes are going well.”

            I thought about photography—still no one talked with me but Vincent; he even sat next to me every so often. The days when Vincent was with me, Lucas’ glare was most intense—I could feel it boring into the back of my head as I worked.

            Then I thought about English with Caleb. We sat right next to each other and everyone in that class called me by name from time to time. And Caleb always talked with me, to the point where the teacher would have to ask us to quiet down.