Don't Take the Girl

I sat with my knees drawn up to my chest, my arms wrapped tight around my legs. I was sitting in the hall of the Second Floor, near to Lucas’ room as I fought with myself internally. Today was the day that I tried to make nice with Lucas. Today was the day I tried to make him my friend!

            …I just had to get up the courage to knock on his door….

            Why was this so hard? All I had to do was knock on his door. I’d start off by saying: Lucas, we need to talk! …. Then he would slam the door in my face and never open it again.

            I sighed. I was such a chicken.

            Why was I even doing this?! It’s not like Vincent had ever asked me to make Lucas my friend. Lucas hated me and Vincent knew that better than anyone. Of course he would never ask me to do such a thing—he knows I would probably die trying to get it accomplished. Vincent would never ask this of me.

            And that is why I am doing this. I am doing this because Vincent would never ask this of me… but it would make him happy if he didn’t always have to choose between his brother and me. It would be selfish of me not to try.

            Filled with a sudden burst of encouragement… and guilt… I stood up and positioned myself in front of Lucas’ door, ready to knock.

            The burst diminished and I was scared again. I flattened myself against the wall to think. I had to do this. It would make my relationship with Vincent much smoother. It would make Vincent happy.

            I turned to face the door again, my hand poised to knock.

            That’s when the door opened. Surprised, Lucas and I both took a step back.

            “Oh, hi, I was just about to knock,” I said nervously. Just like I rehearsed, “Lucas, we need to talk!”

            Not like I had imagined, Lucas looked both ways down the hall before speaking. “I am going out. We can talk when I get back,” he said, pushing passed me.

            “Will you be back for dinner?” I questioned.

            “No,” he replied, not even bothering to turn around.

            I stood there watching Lucas walk away, slightly confused as to what just happened. He did agree to talk to me, right? I didn’t just imagine it?

            I shrugged, turning on my heel towards my room. Nothing for me to do now but scheme and wait.

            “Jazz,” a familiar voice called from behind. I turned to see Vincent walking up to greet me. “I hear that you have made a new friend.”

            I smiled. “Yes, Rebecca is a very nice lady. I need some friends outside this house anyway.”

            “I am glad. Us boys can be so tiresome,” he said, the playfulness deep in his voice, though there was a little reserve. “Are you ever going to say what happened between you and Charlotte?”

            I froze. It had been so long since anyone mentioned her.

            “Ha! I knew something was wrong!” Vincent pointed out. “Come on, out with it.”

            I made a face, uncomfortable. “Do I really have to talk about it?” I asked.

            Reluctantly, Vincent shook his head. “No, but I am here for you, you know.”