They're Just Made to Love

• Dedicated to Leonard Cozby, the real inspiration for Henry

“Oh, it was sixty-six years ago. I was a young G.I. returning from the war, all ecstatic about the double victory—I was stationed in Europe, a POW actually,” Pa’pa explained, in response as to how he met Me’ma. Lucas, Vincent, Caleb, Zach, and I were gathered around real close, like children during story time. “I was part of a road block in Luxemburg when the German’s came. My commander pushed me outside to greet them and I was taken prisoner—”

            “He was in a military hospital when I met him,” Me’ma cut in.

            “You were a nurse?” I wondered.

            Me’ma laughed a little. “Oh, no! I was just a smidgen too young to be in the military—God knows I wanted to, though. My sister was a nurse at the hospital and I came to bring her lunch. She was still seeing patients when I came in so I went around with her to talk. Her last patient before her lunch break was Henry—” that was Pa’pa’s name— “and he asked me out on a date right then and there.”

            “It was love at first sight,” Pa’pa said. “But, Lois declined. After I recovered, Jane—Lois’ sister—gave me their address. Jane thought I was a perfect match for Lois. I spent the next two months trying to get her to accept an evening out with me. Two months. After falling on my knees, begging her for one night, she accepted.” Pa’pa nudged Vincent’s arm like old men do. “When I picked her up for our first date… let me tell you, she was the most beautiful thing I had ever seen.”

            “Goodness, I must have tried on ten outfits before my sister made me come down the stairs so I wouldn’t make you wait,” Me’ma told him.

            “Dear,” Henry Andersen said lovingly, “you could have been wearing a potato sack and rubber boots with your hair like you just woke up and your make-up smeared ‘cross your face and you still would have looked like an angel to me.”

            Lois Andersen placed a hand on her husband’s cheek. “You are so sweet,” she said before leaning over to kiss his cheek. Zach was right; they were the sweetest souls I ever did meet. Me’ma’s attention focused back on us. “Tell us, Jasmine, how are you settling in here?”

            “Oh, I am getting along just fine. Your son and Lilly have been very accommodating. Everyone has made me feel right at home,” I told them. I could feel Lucas rolling his eyes.

            “That’s good. I am glad you seem to fit right in to this household.” Pa’pa turned to look at the time. It was four o’clock. “Honey, dearest, it is four, think you can go make some tea?”

            “Is it four already?” Me’ma wondered. “Okay, Jasmine, would you care to help me?”

            “Yes, ma’am, it would be my pleasure,” I answered with a smile.

            “How many cups of tea am I making?” asked Me’ma, standing up. I stood up too.

            “I will have a cup,” Vincent said, lifting a finger.

            “As will I,” Lucas added.

            “I am afraid I must leave you all,” Caleb admitted, standing. “I have some studying that needs to be done.”

            “I’m going to go scrimmage with Q and some of the others on my team,” Zach explained. “I’ll be back before dinner, though.”

            Me’ma and I headed to the kitchen, which was not that far away. She went to the pantry to get the loose-leaf tea as I went to the rack of pots and pans above the sink to grab the kettle.