Finally Internships

Soon enough, I was released from the hospital and Mr. Aizawa was waiting for me outside.

"You're here already?" I asked, approaching him.

Mr. Aizawa nodded. "Follow me, I'll show you to where we'll go for your internship." He turned and started walking away.

Not much of a hello.

I ran to catch up to him. He didn't say a word to me for the whole walk there. He didn't even look at me, which concerned me quite a bit. But it gave me time to think about how Toru and Mina were doing. I wondered what agencies they were interning at.

Then I remembered Kirishima. We haven't talked since the slumber party. I wonder how he was doing. Just picturing him in his hero suit with his bright, adorable, pointy grin made me smile a little. I'm surprised that I haven't thought about him that much lately, I guess it just seemed so long ago since we talked. I wanted to see him again. But what would I say? I feel like it would be too awkward to bring up what we talked about last time. I was crying. That's too embarrassing. Would I just walk up to him and say... Oh hey Kirishima, I just got out of the hospital, long time no see!

No that's stupid.

Mr. Aizawa brought back my attention, "We're here."

I looked up to see that we were standing in one of the training grounds outside UA. I was a little surprised at the choice of the location. Then, I saw a boy with messy bluish-purple hair who seemed to be wearing another version of Mr. Aizawa's scarf.

"Y/N, this is Shinso. He's not in the hero course but I've agreed to personally train him. So it will seem as though he's interning with you." Mr. Aizawa motioned towards the messy haired boy.

I smiled, "Nice to meet you Shinso, my name is Y/N L/N. But you can call me Y/N."

"Sure," Shinso turned away and grabbed ahold of his scarf.

I figured by that he wasn't much of a talker. But as I looked at him for a bit I kinda recognized him. I'm pretty sure he fought Midoriya in the Sports Festival.

"Once I agreed to let you intern with me, I've noticed that you and Shinso have similar quirks." Mr. Aizawa said to me, "That will make it simpler for you two to train together. Now notice simpler doesn't mean easy. I want you both to train as though you're fighting real villains."

I nodded. If me and Shinso have similar quirks, that means his quirk must have to do something that alters the perception of his opponent. Based on what I saw in the clips from the Sports Festival, I'm pretty sure his quirk allows him to brainwash whoever he's fighting. But I can't tell how strong it is, since Midoriya was able to break free from his control.

"With that being said, here's your costume." Mr. Aizawa handed me a gray suitcase. "Once you've changed, come back here. Then we'll begin."

I took the suitcase and let myself into the building. I went into locker rooms so that I could change. I opened the case to see something that was rested on top of my hero suit. I pulled it out and it was another scarf just like the one Mr. Aizawa and Shinso were wearing. It was big. And how was I supposed to use it? I'm surprised no one asked me if I wanted it. Mr. Aizawa didn't even tell me it would be in here.

I was sure there was a reasonable explanation, maybe the scarf was part of someone else's costume and just got mixed in with mine. So I changed into my hero costume, put on my goggles, and carried the scarf outside with me so that I could ask Mr. Aizawa about it.

When I got outside, Mr. Aizawa immediately noticed that I was holding the scarf in my hands. "Had trouble putting it on?" He asked.

Did he forget what my hero costume was? Or did he just forget that I've never worn this before.

"Um no.." I responded, "I didn't know who this belonged to, it was in the suitcase with the rest of my hero costume. And I thought that it might've gotten mixed up somewhere.."

"No, Y/N, that's yours."

I just stood there, puzzled.

"I put it there with the rest of your costume in case you wanted to use it," Mr. Aizawa explained. "It helps with combat. Then again, if you'd prefer to stick to your normal fighting style, learning to master the scarf takes time and practice."

I looked over at Shinso who was already training with his scarf. That's probably what he was doing. Having a quirk that alters your opponent's perception of things isn't much help with physically fighting someone. In fact, the only reason I was able to make it through the entrance exam was because I've built up enough strength in my muscles by lifting weights in my basement. Otherwise, my quirk would've never allowed me to get by.

As I grasped the scarf firmly in my hands, I turned to face Mr. Aizawa again. "I'll take it."

Mr. Aizawa nodded, "Very well then, put it on and I'll teach you how to use it"

"Yes sir!"

[Timeskip 2 days]

Mr. Aizawa meant it when he said that it would be difficult to master the scarf. No matter how many times I try, something goes wrong. Most of the time I can never aim correctly, that really screws me up. There are different ways I have to grip the scarf in order for it to move in a specific direction. I usually end up tripping on it and falling on my face.

Shinso wasn't perfect at it either. He trips a lot too. But then again, he's been learning longer than I have so usually his aim is more accurate.

Not to mention, some of my injuries were still healing. So that limited my flexibility and strength.

As we kept training, Shinso got a special mask that could disguise his voice, since it would be more likely for people to respond to him if he sounded like someone they trust.

Of course, that messed me up so many times. I'd be just at the point of winning against him and then he'd copy Mr. Aizawa's voice saying I needed to improve on something. And as soon as I say "yes sir!", I'd be brainwashed.

I can't complain about it though, since I have my goggles which give me an advantage with my quirk.

Shinso lunged his scarf at me and when I tried to deflect it with my own, I couldn't grasp it correctly, which led me to struggling on the ground with Shinso's scarf squeezing me tight.

"Shinso, let go of her." Mr. Aizawa said before Shinso released me. "Y/N, the scarf can't predict what you want it to do. In order for you to have full control over it, you need to force it to go in the direction you want it to. And if you want the scarf to grab onto something, you need to throw it at a slight angle, then pull it tight once it's gripped on your target. Like I said, it's not easy to master. You need to be precise."

I got up and started dusting the dirt off of me. "Yeah I know, I'm trying." I responded.

Mr. Aizawa turned towards Shinso. "I hope you're listening too, Shinso. This applies to you as well. The tactics you used to take down Y/N worked on her, but it was very imprecise and unorganized. You need to have a strategy behind your attacks, otherwise there's no point in trying to take down your opponent."

Shinso slowly took off his mask and rested it on top of his scarf. "Yeah, sure.."

"Those are just some things you need to work on," Mr. Aizawa turned away from us. "otherwise good job today."

He started walking off towards UA. Me and Shinso were about to follow him, but then he gave us a cold stare over his shoulder. "And good luck. You're going to need it for tomorrow..."