Sparring and Closer Relations {Chapter 9}

I ran to the arena hoping to find Luke practising. Thankfully he was there.

    "Luke!" I called out.

    He turned to me with a look of surprise. "Oh hey, Silena. I would have thought you'd stay in your cabin and not get wet."

    "I figured now is the best time to speak with you."

    "About what?" he asked.

    "This," I said, pulling out my bracelet.

    "Careful!" he exclaimed, covering my wrist. "You never know when someone is watching." He looked behind me and I glanced behind me to make sure there actually wasn't anyone. I thought I may have seen movement out of the corner of my eye but I wasn't sure and it was probably just my nerves, so I turned back to him.

    "Okay," I said softly. "Sorry."

    "No, I'm sorry. You didn't know," he replied. "So what about.... this did you want to ask me about?"

    "This morning I saw Grover walking to Percy's cabin. They started walking towards the Big House and I was going to follow them but my thing started glowing. I went back inside and it projected the image of what was happening to them up until Percy was about to go visit the Oracle. Do you know why I saw that?"

    "I guess it is a two-way connection. I was there," he answered.

    "But were you able to hear the prophecy?" I asked.

    "Yes," he replied, staring off into space.

    "And it was...." I said, trying to get him to tell me.

    He looked at me. "You shall go west and face the god who has turned. You will find what was stolen and see it safely returned. You will be betrayed by the one who calls you friend. And you shall fail to save what matters most in the end."

    I stared at him, processing what the Oracle had said. "So Percy will face a bad god. And he will find the master bolt! That's good right?"

    "For the gods maybe. But not for the Titan Lord."

    "Oh," I said quietly.

    "And you also forgot the last part. Percy is going to be betrayed by someone who calls him friend and he will fail to save what matters most in the end. So, that means his quest won't prevent him from rising."

    "Okay, so that is good, right?"

    "Yes, Silena," he said smiling. Did I mention how handsome Luke is when he smiles?

    "I also wanted to ask you about Friday night," I said, hoping he wouldn't dismiss me this time.

    "I'll tell you but then we are doing one-on-one, okay?"

    "I'm hopeless with a sword but okay," I replied. "You summoned the hellhound, right?"

    "Yes, I did."

    "Was it to test him or to wipe him out?" I asked.

    "Mostly just to test him. We had our suspicions that he was a child of the Big Three which means he could play a major part in the next Titans vs Gods war."

    "Why is he such a big part?"

    "There is a prophecy but I can't share that with you yet."

    "Why not?" I complained.

    "It isn't time yet. You will be told, just not yet."

    "But-"

    "Silena!" Luke said sternly.