All About Combat and War {Chapter 13}

When we got to the arena, the Ares cabin was already there, though that was no surprise. They love this fighting stuff. I don't really think that Ares mixed with Aphrodite is a good combination for fighting simply because of our skill levels being so incredibly different but I don't make the schedule.

Valentina walked straight up to Clarisse and asked her what side she would be on if Zeus and Poseidon went to war.

"Why do you wanna know that?" Clarisse asked.

"Because, I mean, it is totes likely that they will eventually, as much as they fight. So who would the Ares cabin side with?" Valentina asked.

"I don't know. I need to speak with my cabin about it first," Clarisse answered.

"Okay," Valentina said, turning and strutting back over to us.

"So who are we siding with? Zeus or Posiedon?" Hart asked.

"I think we still just wait for their answer," Amara put in.

"What if they never answer us? Who will we side with?" Mitchell asked.

"Well, I mean, we want to help Percy, right? So if the Ares cabin never gives an answer, we just go with Poseidon," Lacy said hopefully.

"That settles it then," Jade decided. "If it comes to a war, and the Ares kids haven't answered, we will side with Poseidon."

"So we get to help Percy and his dad?" Lacy asked.

"Yes and-" Valentina tried to say as she was interrupted by Clarisse starting class.

"Listen up! A lot of you guys are a bunch of wimps! You need to train harder and fight better! Now, I need Gemma to come help me demonstrate some moves. Of course, we are learning this because we should be careful. Do you remember what I said in the first lesson this summer?"

"Rule number one is to not be unarmed..?" Jade answered unsurely.

"Good. Looks like someone listened. First, why are you unarmed? Do you not have an extra weapon? Is there no weapon nearby? Even a hairbrush could work as a weapon. Did you get in a street fight with no weapons? First of all, I could see my cabin in that situation, but not you children of love. And my cabin would definitely have a weapon with them. Did you already use your weapon, but then got disarmed? Well, if that's the case, weaklings, you gotta stop worrying about being pretty and start worrying about getting killed. Hopefully you still remember what we learned in the past couple of weeks. Of course, we are going to have a fight against each other close to the end of class like always. Because we already learned about the basics, I want to push you all with a challenge. I will teach you about the corkscrew attack, the tsuri goshi, and a scissor kick."

"Clarisse and I will demonstrate your first move, the tsuri goshi, then we will practice it together. After that we will learn about the jumping scissor kick and corkscrew," Gemma continued, in a tone I wouldn't expect from a kid her age.

We learned and practised about the tsuri goshi and the jumping scissor kick. Surprisingly, about 80% of my cabin succeeded. Why was it surprising, you may ask. It was pretty hard and we needed to get thrown on the floor. Trust me, it wasn't fun, but we all did it anyway because the Ares kids are pretty scary sometimes. On the other hand, the Ares kids did it all perfectly. But that was to be expected.

"So some of you guys were able to figure the tsuri goshi and the jumping scissor kick move out. Now we are going to learn a different move called the corkscrew," Clarisse said, as Gemma walked back over to her.

I saw Amara lean over to Lacy, probably asking what that was.

"I'm only going to say this once so listen well. The corkscrew is an important move to get your enemy on the ground. But you have to be on the ground to do it. So this move is best for when your opponent has knocked you to the ground. So say I am on the ground, not that that is likely to happen, but say I am," Clarisse got to the ground and looked at Gemma. "Stand right there and don't move. Okay, anyway I am on the ground and my opponent is standing over me. I'll reach my arms out and grab onto their leg like this. Then you roll over onto your back and move your hands like this."