XXIX

Surprise?

I know it's taken forever, but it's finally here. the LAST chapter. I'm going to be revisiting the story, making some edits and maybe adding some other chapters to help with pacing but the final chapter is here.

BTW I had to delete my Stan twitter, as it was found my a company I applied for a job for. I don't wanna take about it...

I really hope you guys enjoy it and thank you for sticking with me.

Much love and remember to comment and like.

Lucy x

---

A silence ran out as two opposing sides stood eye to eye, face to face, water to wood.

The figure at the door looked different, yet familiar at the same time. Shoulder length, wavy hair framed a perfectly formed face: a ghost of a smile was present on his lips. His green eyes were wide in wonder and surprise. He reached a hand up and rubbed at them hastily as if they had been the cause of some sort of delusion.

"L-Louis?" He was cautious in his words, as if the blue eyed boy would disappear if he was too loud.

"I read it!" Louis burst out, in a flurry of excitement and disbelief. The change in volume made Harry Styles jump and he stepped back slightly.

"Read what exactly?"

"The book. I read it. I read The Great Gatsby. I get it now. I finally get it,"

The taller of the two boys smiled and held the door open. Louis was hit with a welcoming warm feeling of belonging. He hadn't seen that smile in a very long time, and he returned it, grateful.

"I think you better come in," Harry said, still smiling as he ushered the boy into the warm home.

Louis ducked inside, eager to finally have his love back in his arms.

The fire was on and sent golden flickering lights onto the cozy furniture and wooden flooring. Cat statues remained in pride of place in their display cabinets, their little eyes peering out at the two boys. It was like the home was frozen in time, but everything felt different now. Everything was different now.

"I suppose you listened to it?" Harry asked, as he walked through the living room and into the kitchen. Louis followed and tried not to wince as he saw that cabinet. It, along with the floor seemed to have been repaired or replaced but the memories still haunted him. Harry seemed to sense this and swallowed.

"Louis?" He asked again.

"Oh- I heard it on the radio," He mumbled, eyes glued to the floor tile. When he finally looked up, he saw a scared little boy, with fears and questions in his eyes. This was not the man who had thrown the glass. This was someone else. Someone vulnerable, and more fragile. He sighed and walked towards him.

"Harry, why didn't you contact me? Where have you been?" It all spilled out at once. Seeing his ex flame in the flesh was so overwhelming and Louis could breathe as their eyes met. He searched for that burning, overgrown forest, but all he saw was Harry. Just Harry.

"Louis Tomlinson. How I have missed your demands," He snorted, his voice drenched in friendly sarcasm.

"In truth, I've been everywhere but where I wanted to be," The popstar replied, before breaking their eye contact and switching on the kettle. Louis watched in silence, as the star began preparing the tea, getting out two mismatched mugs, and grabbing milk and sugar.

Desperate to get his attention again, Louis cleared his throat.

"You look well," He said, and it was true. Harry's hair was longer, and healthier. It seemed to gleam more than before. His skin was warmer, more sun-kissed, and lively. But it was his eyes. His eyes seemed full of hope and optimism. Before, all Louis could see was a burning forest, inhospitable and empty, but now they were full of life.