chapter thirty six

AUTHOR NOTE: This is the last chapter for this story. I'm so sorry about the delay in posting, but it was such a huge project to finish this chapter. I really wanted to ensure I did good by the characters. I want to thank you all so much for being so supportive and encouraging throughout this entire process, I don't think I could've done it without you. I'll see you in the sequel!

.                                                .                                           .

"I should go now quietly

For my bones have found a place

To lie down and sleep"

DAUGHTER - 'Smother'

.                                                 .                                            .

Janet's hands weren't gentle on Cali's bare skin, fingers digging into her hips, nails catching and scratching along her back and thighs as they moved against each other. The sheets were tangled underneath Cali, and she fisted her hands in them as her eyes rolled back and her mouth fell open.

"Oh my god," she slurred breathlessly. "Oh my god. Oh my god."

Janet's smile was smug as she slithered back up along Cali's stomach until she was hovering over the top of her. "Told you I could get you to three," she hummed against Cali's lips. "And you made such pretty noises for me, too."

Cali swatted at her tiredly, dropping her head back onto the pillow and breathing heavily. "You're a menace," she puffed. "But god, I love you."

Janet leaned down and pressed a gentle kiss to her mouth, heat long extinguished. "Love you too, CC," she murmured softly.

The fan purred happily in the corner of the room, blanketing them in cool air as sweat dried on their naked bodies. It hadn't been the plan, really, when Janet had arranged to stay the night. The original plan had been to watch Star Trek and eat popcorn, but Cali had dropped her head on Janet's shoulder, and Janet had settled her warm palm on the back of her neck and squeezed just so, and Cali had gotten the flush.

It escalated rather quickly after that.

It had felt...different. Not a bad change, not a good one - just something in the air between them, something charged and electric and missing from their before. And Cali kind of wanted to go hunting for that sensation again so she could trap it in a jar and sit it on her shelf and pull it out to look at it every now and then.

For now, tugged Janet down to lay beside her, snuggling into the lines of her body and breathing deeply, content. "Do you keep trying to one-up yourself or something?" Cali asked quietly, brushing her fingertips over Janet's stomach. Janet only hummed questioningly. "You're just... unusually focused on me, and you have been for a while now."

"You complaining, CC?"

Cali's grin was lazy and wicked, and she pressed a gentle kiss to Janet's shoulder. "You know I'm not," she said, lips brushing the sweat-dusted skin before she eased back. "But I also don't know what I'm missing, and I-"

"I swear if you say that you feel bad about being spoiled, I'm not having sex with you for six months."

Cali bit her lip, chastised, and went back to folding herself small enough to fit half-under her girlfriend.