CHAPTER 10

HOLDEN KINCAIDE 

5 YEARS AGO

I don't think I've ever seen a smile so wide, genuine and beautiful in my whole entire life. She threw her head back, her eyes shut tightly as she laughed, the gorgeous sound echoing throughout the dining hall. Her long dark hair was tucked behind her ears, the glasses she only occasionally wore sitting on her nose. My heart raced in my chest, my breathing heavy as I continued to stare at her from across the hall. She made me flustered without even looking at me, her existence enough to send a hot wave of desire to flow throughout my body. 

She was gorgeous, ridiculously attractive, her black framed glasses only adding to it. She kept to her small friendly group, not chatting with any of the other girls in the school which was fair enough as they all always had a nasty attitude about themselves. And even though she didn't physically have any guys surrounding her 24/7, she was so oblivious to the impact her beauty has on us all because as I turned my head, glancing at other tables of guys, plenty of them also happen to be looking over at her. 

They all wanted her, not in the way I wanted her though. They wanted her body. They wanted her face. They wanted to be able to say that they'd fucked her, innocent Scarlett Valentine, the perfect school girl. I didn't just want her; I craved her. Ever since we were kid too. Have I ever talked to her? No, no I haven't. Why not? Because she purposely avoids conversations with anyone outside of her friend group, plus I'm too fucking nervous to fuck up and say something stupid that'll make me invisible to her again. 

I want Scarlett Valentine more than I need air. I want her eyes always on mine. Her smile always for me. I want her heart mine but more than anything I want her to realise she's holding my heart in her hands and hasn't even realised it for the last 4 or so fucking years. 

I'm so fucking in love with a girl that I've never even talked to. 

The bell that indicated lunch was over went off, the chatter in the hall loud as some people continued to sit at the tables, others getting up and heading out of the dining hall to get to their lockers. 

"You've got a staring problem" Schmidt nudged me, it taking a couple seconds longer for me to tear my eyes away from Scarlett and to look at him. 

"Hmm?" I asked not having heard him properly. Schmidt's mouth turned up into a smile, his eyes glancing in Scarlett's direction before back to me. 

"Never mind" He replied through a smile, shaking his head. I nodded, turning back to look at Scarlett. Her and her friends were getting up from the table they were sat at, Scarlett grabbing all the rubbish her friends had left at the table and taking it over to the bin, chucking it in. I stood up from the table, Eros who sat on the other side of the table cross from me, raising his eyebrows. 

"Where are you going?" He asked, Dean and Schmidt both looking up at me now too. 

"To my locker to get my shit. I've got Math and Mr Brennan's notorious for handing out detentions for tardiness" I grabbed the plastic water bottle I'd gotten from the canteen, downing the cold water before scrunching it up. 

"Not like your parents wouldn't get you out of it anyways" Eros replied, watching me as I backed up and away from the table. 

"Yeah, but I'd rather not have them do that. It's embarrassing" I threw the bottle in the bin, saluting the guys before heading towards the exit. 

"Wait up, Kincaide" Dean shouted, jumping up and jogging up to me, walking by my side as we went for the exit. So many people were trying to make their way out of the dining hall at the same time that we were practically stuck in traffic. Looking to the side I went stiff, my heart thudding against my rib cage. She was standing right beside me. Right. Beside. Me.