CHAPTER 36

HOLDEN KINCAIDE

½ YEARS AGO

I don't know why I keep coming here even after I've moved out. Something about my mum wanting to make amends. Kind of too late for that mother. You can't just rectify what you'd done to me my whole life. Forgiving and forgetting you raping me isn't possible. 

And yet here I am, walking up to the front door of my parents house about to have a family dinner with them. My hand clenches around the head of the wine bottle as I stop at the door, frowning when I notice it slightly open. Angry huffs from inside almost had me turning around and heading home, but I was curious enough to push the door open and step inside. 

"They're going to ruin everything" My Mum was pissed, that much was obvious. I followed the voices through the house. 

"After all we've done to keep you safe" I frowned at the unfamiliar voice as I turned around the corner of the lounge room and stepped into the kitchens doorway. My Mum was holding a knife, slamming it down against the chopping board as she cut up tomatoes. Wyatt stood across from her with a man I didn't recognise beside him. They both had their backs to me. My Dad who was sat on a stool, his eyes drooping from exhaustion was the first person to notice me. His back straightened as he offered me a tired smile from across the room. 

"Hey Son" Everyone turned to look at me, my hand tightening around the wine bottle even more. I scanned everyone's faces my eyes lingering on the guy beside Wyatt. The longer I stared the more familiar his face became until it clicked in my head and my shoulders tensed. 

"Mr Finch" Wyatt's attorney from 2½ years ago. What the fuck was he doing here and why the fuck did he look skeevy as hell. The look on his face was enough to tell he was hiding a secret, or keeping his mouth shut, especially with me around. 

"Holden. Nice to see you again" And it wasn't nice to see you. 

Looking away from him I turned my attention to my mother who looked like she was holding back a sharp tongue. She offered me a smile, one I didn't return. 

"What's going on?" I asked bluntly, wanting to know what they were talking about before I came. Everyone looked away from me only to glance at each other, asking if they should tell me with their eyes. 

I hated the secrecy, and apart of me desperately wanted to know what they were keeping from me, but the other part of me hoped they'd shrug my question off and change the topic of conversation. 

I had a bad feeling. 

"The Valentine's are still fighting for Scarlett's innocence" I continued to stare at my mother, waiting for her to continue. I kept my face blank and my body still, not needing anyone to see the way her name still effects me. 

"They're trying to appeal the conviction" I frowned shaking my head. 

"They can't. The time frame for them to appeal passed years ago" I replied, placing the wine bottle on the bench before crossing my arms over my chest. Finch nodded, agreeing with what I said. 

"They're apparently getting help from forensics in finding evidence to prove her innocence. They're looking to retrial."

"They're spending every last dollar they have on her" Mr Finch added. 

"It's going to ruin them" My Dad said almost...sadly?

"And us in the process" Wyatt grunted, the nasty vein in his forehead popping out. My eyes zeroed in on my Mum's hand, rubbing up and down Wyatt's arm. It was disgusting how fast her touch soothed him. 

"Which is why I need you to drive your brother to their house" I had my Mum's sole focus. My shoulders dropped, my arms falling from my chest and down by my sides. I glanced at Wyatt before back to my Mum.