Take a bow

The first home they reached just bordered the outskirts of the city. Well, it wasn't so much of a home as it was a castle.

A really big castle. With a tower.

A moat encircled it, the water running in a constant flow just like a river. Jojo wondered how it managed to keep itself going. She eyed it suspiciously. Fallon stood in front of everyone and rolled her over-sized sleeves up slowly and deliberately. Jessy shifted on her hooves nervously underneath Jojo's now sore rump. She patted at her neck and glanced at Katy. What was Fallon doing? Katy rolled her eyes.

"Wait for it."

Fallon had finally finished with her sleeves and now was adjusting her hat from side to side as if it was intrinsically important to get it situated just right on her head. Jessy squealed uneasily. Jojo was getting concerned that she was about to be thrown and threw a wild glance at Annie for help. Annie's attention didn't waver from the young girl in the wizards outfit and simply offered a paw.

Just in time.

Fallon lifted her arms, wand held high, and Jessy let out a terrified snort and reared back. Jojo leapt at Annie's out-held paw and wrapped herself tightly around her feline friend.

"Calm down Jessy, it's not that bad."

"Not that bad! Says you! I'm going to go eat some grass. Over there. Far away. Whistle when you're done."

Jessy galloped away.

Jojo was almost distracted enough by the fast retreating yellow horse's wildly flailing tail not to notice the enchanting music that had begun to play out of nowhere. She turned to look at Fallon, who was chanting in increasingly higher pitch. Jojo felt a tickle at her cheek and turned to look straight into Annie's frowning golden eyes.

Ah crap. She was still hanging on to the lioness like a koala on a tree.

"Sorry!"

Jojo slipped to the ground and Annie fluffed out her thick hair, raising her eyes heavenward at the indignity. Jojo blushed and diverted her attention back to Fallon, who was yelling by this point. She bent over and belted out:

"Prince Poppycock's Last Unicorn!"

Fallon went silent as she spread her arms wide and stood on her tiptoes dramatically.

The drawbridge lowered.

Jojo was confused. Wasn't something really spectacular supposed to happen? She dared a glance back at the lioness, who was chuckling to herself softly.

"It's just the password to get the drawbridge lowered. Fallon just likes to do it in her own style."

Jojo's mouth hung open. All that for a password? Fallon was now taking bows and everyone was clapping. Jojo shrugged and joined in. It was quite a performance, now that she thought about it. And fun. Her attention turned to a woman that now stood on the drawbridge, beckoning everyone in with a smile. Jojo smiled back at her happy face.

"Welcome to Castle Rock friendly travelers! I am Melissa, the bookkeeper here. Come, make yourselves at home!"

To be continued....................