Con.

George Hum

Monday, May 10th—

I'm looking through my closet to see what I should wear today. I have extra time this morning so I didn't pick out my clothes the day before. My motto will always be that if I have time to do something later, I will do it later and use my current time for my convenience. That is, I used it to sleep.

I only have long sleeve clothes in my closet. I don't wear short sleeves in the summer or ever actually. I just don't like showing off my arms.

When I go out to make myself some cereal, Matthew's in his room and Roy's by the balcony. He always takes the balcony. I wonder why.

"What do you think will happen today?" I ask Roy as I walk over to him with my bowl of cereal. I'll be eating my breakfast here today.

"Probably something dumb," Roy says.

"Did you forget that Mr. A told us to come to school in the second period?" I ask.

"He said that?" Roy asks indifferently. Well, I guess it wasn't important enough for Roy to remember any of Mr. A's words.

"I'm excited. It feels like a surprise," I say. Or we could be in trouble or something, but that usually calls for a detention.

"What is so exciting about that? If they say no school for life, it'll be exciting," Roy says sarcastically.

"Your mom would love that," I say. I wonder how she's going to react to Roy's grades. If my predictions are right, his participation during class should be somewhere around the zeros, which isn't good if you ask me.

"I can always burn up those letters," Roy says. "Throw them into someone else's locker."

"Bruh," I say. Roy takes school way too loosely.

"Morning," Matthew says, joining us. It looks like he has already eaten in his bedroom because he's empty handed right now.

"I want to go back to bed," he says. "I should've finished my work yesterday night instead."

"You have homework left to do?" I ask. "We barely get homework nowadays."

"Oh, yeah, I have separate work," Matthew says. "Boring as hell."

"But you always do them with this sour face,"Roy says. "It's like you have to do it and you don't want to do it."

True. Matthew always complains about his work, but still does it. I've never met anyone like that.usually, it's if you do the work or you don't, not you do the work and complain at the same time.

"Well, someone has to do it," Matthew says, yawning. "It doesn't make a difference who does."

In half an hour's time, the three of us are out the door, ready to head to school. When we enter the hall, the dozens of people there let off party poppers and color strimmers fall on our heads. They all start clapping and smiling at us like we're some sort of celebrity.

"Are these people all sick today?" Roy asks. "Like stung by a new type of bees or something?"

"Maybe they've gone mad," Matthew says.

"Or they're all under mind control or something?" I say, thinking of the worse. Also, where's Emma and Selena?

"Morning kiddos," a voice says from behind me. I turn around to see Emma and Selena at the door, watching us with confused expressions.

"Did you guys fall into the dumpster or something?" Emma asks. "And forgot to clean yourselves up?"

"This way, please!" Aaron's voice says before we can answer. He leads up to the auditorium where we get shooed up on stage. This place is also packed with students and some of them look just as puzzled as we do.