Chapter 5

Emma Chen:

Friday, September 11th—

Today for the first three periods of class, I have to learn skills for fighting. It looks like Lily is our mentor today. The class is in a classroom on the 5th floor and the view up here is brilliant. Like Mr. A's office, there is a side of the room that is completely glass. I can see the ground from up here and it's frightening, but exciting at the same time. Too bad none of my friends are sitting next to me.

"So everyone, please take out your tablets," Lily says. "We are going to take notes on them." I already have it out. I set the wallpaper to a picture of me, Matthew, and Selena back in Falce. It's from 6th grade and I can't believe how much we've all grown.

"Today we are going to start off with something easy," Lily says to the class. "We are going to learn how to activate our powers and really get to know how to call them forth."

"But don't we all know that already?" a girl in the corner says.

"Yes, I'm sure you all do," Lily says. "But do all of you know how to control your powers? Sometimes when you want to use only a little bit of power, you end up using a lot, vise versa. That is why today we are going to try to use as little power as possible and keep it that way." I used to have trouble using my abilities too. After getting stronger, it was harder to just use a little bit of my ability. It feels like I can only use my ability to its full extent or nothing at all.

"My ability is to be able to shoot energy beams from my hand," Lily explains. She takes out her right hand and creates a big ball of light. I wonder how much damage it can do.

"You see," Lily continues. "This is a rather massive amount of energy. But I can control the size of it depending on how much power I need." The light in her hand becomes smaller until it reaches the size of a regular marble. Lily takes out her other hand and does the same. The balls of light in both hands begin to go from big to small and small to big.

"You might ask why one might need to do this, and my answer is that you never want to use too much or too little power on something. Just the right amount is good enough," Lily says. That makes me remember. Once, my phone ran out of battery and I tried to charge it with my ability, but I used too much of my power that I broke the phone instead. It probably wasn't the best idea, but I was desperate to finish watching my show.

"Now, why don't you guys try?"

"Lily, what if your power is not visible?" A student next to George asks.

"Then try to use your ability, but try to use different amounts of power each time to make sure you are able to go from using a lot of energy to using fairly little," Lily answers. I wonder what Selena's going to do. Purposely injure herself and try to heal only a little bit?

"If you need supplies, I have it up front. Help yourselves," Lily says. I see Selena going up to the desk and grab a pot of flowers that's on the verge of dying. Poor flowers. It must've been hard for them too. I put my hands on the desk. I generate some electricity and change their watts. First, I try to make the strongest electricity I can. Then, I make the weakest one. It's no fun not being able to test it out on things though. I can charge the tablet, but too bad it's full of battery. I decided to create some lightning. I aim for one of my fingers. Since I can't get electrocuted, it's fine to test it on myself. I can still feel how strong each lightning bolt is.

Roy comes up to me. "Do you mind sharing your ability with me for a sec?" He says, "I can't really sense your aura because there's so many in the room."

"Sure," I say. I just activate my powers a little by creating some lightning.

"Thanks," Roy says. I wonder why he doesn't use someone else's ability. After a while, Lily says from the back of the classroom, "Okay class! Now it's time to move on from this lesson as I see most of you are doing spectacular." She walks to her desk in the front of the room and says, "I'm going to teach you guys something that will be very helpful. You learn it in your senior year, but I always like to teach my students in freshman year. It's easy if you get it and it'll come in handy." She opens her drawer and takes out a bunch of little clear cubes.