Chapter Twenty-Eight

"Wench!"

    "Traitor!"

    "Bastard!"

    Left and right it was all Zaffre could hear. The words clambered and molded into one angry voice that gleamed with vehemence. She tried to keep a straight face as all the citizens threw their insults at her with the same force as they did their rotten fruits. The longer her cage was pulled down the Aberon streets the more excited and bloodthirsty the mobs of people became. First, it was just words they spit toward her when they initially left the alley with the fight ring. Then someone had the idea of grabbing tomatoes, apples, onions, and other such foods in various stages of rot to toss at her through the bars of her prison. This was the only time Zaffre would be grateful for the cage.

    The people truly hated her and her Vale Havon armor. All of what she wore and stood for was what they fought against, so they used her as a method of dispelling their rage. She stood idly, wobbling on her weak legs feigning confidence in the light of their disgust. So far she hadn't been fully covered in mushy waste, but Zaffre didn't have much confidence in that lasting. The longer she was in this cage being pulled by the two armed guards, the more time the civilians had to better their aim. While they jeered at her and sent blows to her mind, she also felt the impact of blackened fruits and vegetables on her back.

    It was almost with relief that the rolling cage started to slow down as they approached a large stone building. It was quite imposing as it stood between what seemed like abandoned tenement buildings. The crowd's noise grew louder at the sight of it, making it clear to Zaffre that this was a place she did not want to go. This started to brew some semblance of energy within the Felipara as she came to terms with the fact that she'd have to fight again. If she was going to make a break for escape it had to be now. Whatever lay behind the door she and the soldiers were rapidly approaching would likely not be a place she could get out of.

     As the distance closed the guards told their citizens to step back and make room and soon there was a semicircle around the back of the cage. Zaffre eyed around her warily, hoping for some sort of advantage she could cling to. However, there was none. A few feet from the door, the cage stopped, and one of her cage guards came to stand before the confines door holding a key. Zaffre tensed her muscles as she prepared to make a move. As soon as the door opened she kicked out with a foot and knocked the one soldier back. His partner quickly took action and gripped onto one of her wrists as he yanked her out of the raised prison.

    Her hip made hard contact with the ground and she cried out as she swung her arms around to cause whatever injury she could and to dissuade the grip on her arm. It was futile as the initial guard got ahold of her and Zaffre began to be dragged to the wooden door was the stone building. It was interesting how non-threatening the small portal looked as she was pulled toward it. Almost reminiscent of the door to her family's cottage. The crowd was boisterous as she was brought closer to the dainty wood opening. Their noise tore away the innocent image of the gateway.

    She kicked her legs and screamed even as the rough brick of the ground pulled at the bottoms of her boots. As it pulled the left one off her foot and scraped the skin of her heel trailing her blood on the ground. She jerked her arms trying to get away from the guards and contorted her body to try and get free. It was like their hands were made of shackles and their souls of chain links. The door was pulled open and Zaffre felt all her hopes fading away. Her heart began to match her ribs.

    When the door slammed closed and her captors began dragging her down dingy stone steps she felt tears begin to drip down her face. She was drug down mercilessly as her body went limp with exhaustion and despair. Zaffre barely felt the pain of each step as her battered body was pulled down them. It was like she'd gone numb to it all. A deep feeling of hopelessness had replaced any of her pain or anger. She was entirely alone and nothing short of a miracle could get her out of this prison in her condition.