Chapter Seventeen

Despite the fancy and expensive exterior of the carriage, it made for an uncomfortable mode of travel. The gravelly roadways in Westwood did not work well with the wheels made for more flat or grassy ground. Zaffre had lost count of how many times her behind had lifted from the seat with a large bump in the road. The minor annoyance had been grating on her just as the fact that she had to make this journey did. It made for quite the unpleasant mood within her. Thoughts boiling, she simply glared out the window at the passing scenery. She refused to acknowledge the elven man across from her who sat nervously staring at the shadowed body moving through the trees.

    Freya proved to be an intimidating presence as she skulked in the woods. They'd been on the road for hours as they moved even through the night to reach the Capitol faster. Apparently, the fact she was bonded was an even bigger deal than she'd assumed since they were rushing the journey. The biggest negative about the whole thing, however, was that since the conscripter was so eager for her to reach the Capitol, she was a priority over other recruits. This meant she was traveling alone with the elven man, who was named Reluraun, as Lenny traveled with the caravan that was brought along to carry the new soldiers of Westwood.

    This did not please Zaffre in the slightest. Ever since hearing the news, she'd remained utterly silent as Freya did her best to make sure Reluraun also didn't speak. So far the Pumeon's efforts had remained successful. They were getting closer to the Capitol now, so Zaffre feared the tense quiet would be ended soon. For the next while, she decided to savor her peace while it lasted. They would be coming upon their destination soon enough, and she was looking forward to spreading her legs.

...

    The Capitol came into view in a mass of white stone walls and gold trimmings. The castle at the back of the large city visible, even from the path at the front gates. They were arriving closer to a large stone archway that held a massive golden gate into the city. Two spires on either side marked the guard towers that watched over the grand entrance. Zaffre took it all in with child-like amazement as the gates were pulled open and the carriage entered the city streets. Vale Havon residents were few and far between for a few moments until they came upon the center of the city, the market.

    People were milling about the market square selling innumerable objects in stalls, shopping, or just wandering around. Zaffre looked on in interest as it was more people than she'd ever seen at home. She'd only ever been to Village Song and the farm; her parent's not much for travel, and Zaffre learned to be the same. The activeness and constant movement of the city life around her was almost too extreme a change for her to comprehend. Through the carriage walls, she could hear the hustle and bustle of people talking, laughing, and having a jovial time.

    That lasted for a few moments before there was a small moment of silence, then. Screams. Lots of them, all around, circling the carriage. Shocked faces flooded Zaffre's vision as she stared out the window, the fear almost palpable as she witnessed spread outside. Confused, she watched with eyebrows before a feeling of panic started in her system. People were shouting and it was loud and overwhelming. She felt surrounded. Or, she thought she did. Then, Zaffre was bursting out of the carriage to run behind it. When she rounded she found where the feelings of panic came from.

    Freya stood frozen as the people of the Capitol created a wide birth around her. Screaming obscenities and threats the people themselves were in a similar state of panic. Zaffre ran forward just as some city guards arrived with their swords drawn. They wore determined faces as they approached what they viewed as a deadly beast. Zaffre felt a rush of adrenaline as she pushed for speed to get in front of her bond before the soldiers did. The crowd, however, provided a setback as they all stood packed together in a crowd surrounding the large Pumeon.

    Shoving her way through she watched on as the five soldiers were given space to make it into the citizen-made circle. They would surely get to Freya before she did. Her own fear was rising inside her as she continued to bump shoulders to make it to her twin soul. Just as she was reaching the edge of the crowd, the soldiers made it into the convergence around Freya. Swords at the ready they created a semi-circle around the Big Cat.

    "Stop!" Zaffre's scream went unheard over the roar of those shouting around her.

    The nearest soldier brought his sword up to strike Freya.

    Zaffre shoved the last of the way through the crowd and sprinted to get between the weapon and the Pumeon. People around her gasped as she approached, surprising the soldiers into looking around. The distraction gave Zaffre just enough time to stand between the city guard and her bond. Arms raised to either defend or placate.

    The guard quickly looked back forward at her movements. His sword still in the air he looked at her in angered shock. Another soldier was moving closer to get her out of the way but stopped halfway when Freya growled. Everything seemed to freeze then, the people quieted, the soldiers seemingly stopped in time, and Zaffre watching it all. A breath of a moment as people waited for the Pumeon to strike out and kill someone, but no such thing happened. Bafflement permeated the air as no one knew what to do.

"You can't kill her!" Zaffre got time moving again.

    "Get out of the way miss! That's a dangerous beast behind you!" The soldier in front of her was still confused but determined to follow his duties.

    "No, she isn't! Freya will not harm anyone without provocation. I suggest you get out of the way," Zaffre growled out. Her earlier fear melted away in her hasty anger.

    There were more shocked expressions at Zaffre's words. That was all stolen away when a rider on horseback raced quickly toward the overly bewildered group. The stead was strong and headfast in its approach, the rider more so. Pristine glittering armor covered the figure, a shiny helmet hiding their identity. When they entered the circle a leopard followed the horse and rider and stood beside them as the armor-clad person dismounted. 

Word Count-1112

A/N: 

I know I said more chapters yesterday, but that didn't end up happening. I am a decent way through chapter eighteen though, so that update will hopefully come out tomorrow or Sunday!

Thanks for reading!