Chapter Fifteen

She was halfway around the house before Zaffre realized she needed to slow down and think things through. She skidded to a stop before coming to the corner of the house and peeking around. The elf was now almost to the barn where Lenny had already hidden somewhere inside since he wasn't in sight. Her mother looked torn between running after the angry man after Lenny or staying where she was to avoid extra trouble. Zaffre wasn't sure what to do either.

    However, the decision was made for her when mere minutes after entering the barn the elven man exited, kicking and screaming Lenny in his grip. The man clearly wasn't being merciful in his hold on the Rabineer's arm as the young coney-like boy cried as he yelled. The sight infuriated Zaffre. The rage was deep and boiling as it started in her toes and seemed to steam into her head. How dare they hurt her friend!

    "Let me go! You're hurting me, please!" Hearing Lenny's desperate voice Zaffre leaped out from beside the cottage. No thought was in her head aside from hurting the elf who treated her friend so poorly.

     "Let him go! He's done nothing to you!" She was running to them, fire in all her steps.

    The elf whirled around to face her, the determination in his eyes traded for shock. He turned to Jahzarni as anger lept into his iris'. His grip did not loosen on the Rabineer who now looked to Zaffre with fear. She felt the flames lick her hands as they formed into fists, the fire of her fury fueling her feet into stepping closer. She was stopped in her tracks by the words the benevolent man spoke to her mother.

    "You harbor more than one person able to be enlisted? You dare betray your kingdom in this way? Perhaps I should take you to the Capitol as well so the King may have your head!"

    "NO!" Zaffre screamed before she pounced on the man in a tackle. She brought him to the ground as Lenny was released from his grasp. She raised her fist and swung. The resounding smack was satisfying to her rage as the man's face jerked to the left, saliva spitting from his mouth. Not a second later did he face her again and she prepared to strike once more.

    "I'll have you killed for this disrespect! Get off me before your life becomes forfeit!" Zaffre barely blinked at the words, nothing registering beside his threat to her mother. While she was unaware though, no one else was. Her mother and Lenny gripped her arms and ripped her away just as an enraged deafening snarl rang into the air before the crashing of large feet in thick underbrush followed. Freya was not happy her bond had been told a commination.

    The Pumeon emerged from the trees seething. Her purple eyes were wild as she took in the scene before her. The noble elf scrambled to his feet and stood frozen in petrification. His driver was not so silent as he remained in his seat of the carriage. His own terror made him release a horrific scream that made Zaffre want to cover her ears. She couldn't though, as her bond stomped ever closer with the clear intent to cause bodily harm.

    "Monster! Kill it! Run for your life, oh we're all dead!" The elf was released from his paralysis. He made a move to sprint, but with one jump Freya, she had him in her paws. The cruel man crashed to the ground as the beast placed one of her massive paws on his chest. She was not being lenient either as she let her full weight rest into that paw, making the breath leave the body below her.

    Zaffre knew she had to get Freya to release him but had a hard time convincing herself to do so. The light-haired man had been incredibly rude and hurtful, he also intended to force herself and Lenny to fight in the war. She knew, though, that her Pumeon would eat him alive for his words and would prefer not to have a mauling on her case. Reluctantly she stepped closer as she heard a gasp from Lenny behind her, who still did not know of her connection to Freya.

    "That thing's gonna eat you Zaffre! What're you doing?" The Rabineer spoke panicked.

    She paid no mind to her companion and got within touching range of Freya as the elf flailed in her grasp, his face purpling from his lack of air. With a sigh, she turned to the Big Cat and tapped her on the shoulder. Two surprised cries exiting from the driver and Lenny. Freya glanced at her, still angry as ever. Zaffre gave her a pointed look.

    "You have to let him go, killing him will only cause more problems," she spoke softly. No one else could hear her but Freya.

    Again the Pumeon glanced at her but did not lift her paw. Glaring now Zaffre tilted her head to the conscripter then to her paw and back again. Her bond glared harshly at the elf. Saying her name with authority, Zaffre again urged Freya to release the man whose eyes were beginning to flutter. The Pumeon chuffed then sighed and lifted her paw off and away from the man who immediately began gasping for air.

    "That wasn't so hard now was it?" Zaffre felt like rubbing it in. She simply got a glare in return.

    "You're bonded!" Lenny exclaimed with wide eyes.

    Sheepishly Zaffre turned to him and nodded. The Rabineer gasped in excitement before the whole situation seemed to crash on everyone again as the elf coughed harshly. He finally was regaining his breath as fear still remained in his eyes. Before too long he regained his feet, a mask of control covering up the part of him scared of Freya. He spared a quick look at the midnight creature who still looked at him in contempt, then looked to Zaffre, Freya's gaze uncomfortable.

    "You must go to the Capitol now, your bonded status must be reviewed, that Rabineer must go as well, you'll both fight in the war at once," the elf said in a suddenly polite tone.

    Zaffre could not focus on his lack of rudeness though, as his words echoed in her mind. She would be going to fight, and there was nothing she could do to stop it. Her mother would be alone on the farm. Her father would continue to get increasingly ill with the lack of help. The farm would fall onto its last legs and need to be sold. She herself would have to fight in a war she did not understand. Alone on the other side of the kingdom, knowing everyone she'd ever loved would be in peril. Her heart felt like it fell to her stomach. 

Word Count-1151

Total Count So Far-19,022

A/N:

FYI this is about halfway into the book! I plan to get to chapter 20 within the month and do another ten in April! So that means this will be a 30 chapter book! With an epilogue, if I can squeeze it in! I'm cutting it close on the word count though, so we'll see! 

Big THANKS to those who have been reading, voting, and commenting! I really appreciate it! 

p.s.

how do people feel about me maybe writing another book sometime after this one? I'm hoping to prove to myself I can finish a book(If only a rough draft) with this one. just want to test the waters and see the interest! 

oh and maybe, idk, a sequel/stand-alone novel that falls in the same world as Zaffre's after that other book?