Bye, Princess (Dual POV)

The Boston Brute Series: Pt. 13 (Bye, Princess)

Pairing: NHL!Chris Evans x Athletic Trainer!Reader (female character)

Summary: When you graduated from Northeastern University, you had your sights set on the West Coast. And then you were offered a position with the Boston Bruins Athletic Training Department. And then you met Chris. A 6′3″, ruggedly handsome hockey player dead set on making your life a living hell by pushing every button and getting on every nerve. Despite your obvious disdain for each other and the 'No Fraternization' clause in your employee contract, you're drawn together in a passionate, fiery love affair that seems to burn everything in its wake.

Warnings: Crude language. Lots and lots of angst. Crying. Brief smut, but nothing like graphic. Parental death mentioned. Please do not read this series if you are not a fan of asshole Chris or fics with a lot of angst. As always, let me know if I missed anything!

W/C: 9.3k

Disclaimer: This is a work of fiction. All players and scenarios are made up completely. This story does not reflect things that actually happen in the NHL or with its players. Additionally, I talk about Chris's family in this fic. Again, work of fiction and is no reflection of his parents or grandparents in real life.

___________________________________________________

Reader POV

"Y/N," Chris called out to you gently, his voice slightly muffled by the hand pressed against his mouth, eyes filled with concern. The nausea you felt rolling through your stomach was clearly visible on your face. "Come sit."

You nodded, swallowing again. Water. You needed water.

With shaky legs, you walked over and took a seat in the chair next to Chris.

Fuck. They know.

Terry sighed, shaking his head. "Who wants to go first?" He smacked a tabloid magazine down on the desk in front of you.

You eyed the magazine, then glanced at Chris, his expression unreadable. "Sorry?" You asked, turning your attention back to a very red-faced and frustrated man.

Terry pinched the bridge of his nose, sitting back in the chair. "I don't have the patience for playing stupid."

"I can't play stupid if I don't know what this is in reference to." You responded, clearing your throat when your voice had a little more edge than you'd intended. Now probably wasn't the time to lash out.

Chris jerked his chin towards the desk. "Look at the cover, Princess."

Your pulse raced as you tentatively leaned forward.

What the fuck?

Snatching the magazine from your desk, you studied the cover. A picture of you and Chris kissing in the alley behind the bar was blown up and plastered on the front cover.

CHRIS EVANS, INFAMOUS LADY'S MAN, TIED DOWN IN A SECRET LOVE AFFAIR?! DETAILS FROM OUR OWN MINDY SHAFER INSIDE!

Who the fuck is Mindy Shafer and what the fuck does she know about our relationship? Your eyes flickered from the magazine to Chris, then from Chris to Terry, trying to figure out how you could play this off. One time, meaningless thing? They had to believe what you told them, right?

You shifted uncomfortably in your chair, flipping to the page listed on the cover.

"Infamous lady's man and center for the Boston Bruins, Chris Evans, caught in the midst of a forbidden love affair with Head Athletic Trainer, Y/F/N Y/L/N. Their conversation was overheard a few weekends ago at a downtown bar, both of them sharing the frustrations of needing to keep their love a secret. What happens when the fiery romance is brought to light? Will it burn free or come to a burning halt?"