Chapter 7: Supplies [1]

NOMIA closes its lid and floats up to your eye level.

"Okay, that's fine with NOMIA."

It gently bumps your pinky again, reminding you of the promise you two made.

"NOMIA will ensure you arrive home safely."

You ball your hands into fists.

> NOMIA, I'm sorry.

"Astronaught, right?"

You pause. You had your friends call you that like a nickname of some sorts.

"Astronaught, it was great meeting you. I have a request though."

> What is it?

"Only take my core. Don't bring anything else along."

> Leave it for the Questers?

"Yes."

You look at the creatures that crowded the cave. They seem to be waiting for NOMIA.

> Are you sure?

The robot opens its lid and remains silent.

> Take NOMIA's core.

You step out of the spaceship, holding NOMIA in your hands. As much as you understand the harms of ripping a battery source out of its place, you do it. There's no time for a careful removal of a battery core welded into place.

Sparks fly temporarily and you close NOMIA's lid, looking back at the robot.

The glossy exterior of the robot reflects some of the harsh light from a nearby star. The LED-type of panel is now dim, its eyes missing.

You gently place the robot on the ground, patting its head a final time before heading into the spaceship.

> Insert the core.

Your spaceship powers up and the control panels light up. The auto pilot to the wormhole has been set by NOMIA previously, so you get into your seat and start the countdown.

10...

9...

8...

7...

6...

5...

4...

3...

2...

1...

You close your eyes, fighting back the heavy weight put on your chest. You trained yourself for this.

> Remember your hard work and contributions.

You begged for your superiors to let them give you a second chance at astronaut training.

"All will be naught if you don't try again," you recall the robot saying back at the water cave.

You smile to yourself.

> Thank you, NOMIA.

[proceed to NOMIA]