Chapter 3: The Edible Fungi

With Lightores, aluminum sheets and NOMIA by your side, you return to your space ship.

However, there's a little something by your space ship, something rather odd looking.

> Squint your eyes.

You can already hear your parent scolding you for squinting.

You notice a ... mushroom. With insect wings. Yes, a mushroom with insect wings.

It hops about your ship, kicks around rubble and explores the broken insides. NOMIA fumes at the sight of the mushroom-like organism.

"Such disrespect!"

Before you could ask any questions, NOMIA opens its top and blasts the organism with a bright beam.

> Close your eyes from the brightness and shield your eyes.

"Such rudeness is intolerable! No one invades another's privacy here."

You glance over at NOMIA, which is back to normal.

> Did you just char that mushroom-being?

"It's edible. They eat dust and purify the air. Though, it's a little useless above ground."

You hesitate.

"I heard from the Questers that it tastes like... chicken."

> You can taste things?

"No, but my creator has given me data on such."

> Then how about this planet?

NOMIA falls silent.

> How did I arrive here?

NOMIA floats into your abandoned ship, pushing a few papers out.

Some pages were torn and shredded from the crash, but a few others were intact. You want to point out the hypocrisy of the robot, but your anger doesn't match the level of confusion you're at.

"The wormhole theory you've been researching about is true. That's how you arrived on our planet."

> Is there a way back?

NOMIA spins around, searching its database.

You stand in disbelief, looking at the charred mushroom organism. Your stomach growls and you sit down, holding it in your hands.

NOMIA isn't telling you how they gained knowledge about this planet, despite claiming to be made on Earth.

Your head hurts as you think more.

> Head back into the caves.

As you walk back into the lit up clearing, Questers gather around you. Confused, they point towards a steep rocky path. You recall NOMIA calling it a water cave, where oxygen is oddly abundant.

> Head over to the water cave, famished.

You take a seat by the waters and take off your helmet, breathing in the musky, damp air. It's better than nothing, but only if you were able to refill your oxygen tank with this oxygen.

> bite into the charred mushroom being.

It's oddly soft and chewy. It's not exactly stringy like chicken, but more of a beef or pork texture. It has a rather dusty taste to it, probably thanks to the dust NOMIA claimed they eat.

> continue eating the charred mushroom being.

The mushroom-like cap indeed tastes like a mushroom. You wonder if your parent will scold you for eating an unidentified species of mushroom.

> finish eating the charred mushroom being.

You sit back, sighing as you look down at your hands. It lacked bones, and the only inedible (or rather, unappealing) parts were its limbs and head. You think about which number out of 5 you would give that meal.

[pick one from the 5...]

> I'd give it a 1 / 5.

> I'd give it a 2 / 5.

> I'd give it a 3 / 5.

> I'd give it a 4 / 5.

> I'd give it a 5 / 5.

You notice NOMIA at the entrance of the cave, hesitating. Robots aren't sentimental in nature, but this one appears to have read the situation quite well.

"I'm sorry for being a hypocrite."

You take a drink from the water pool, ignoring the robot.

"I've only learned more about this planet through the Lightores collected here. They mimic historical books, recording events of this planet."

You wipe your mouth and put on your helmet.

> How do I leave this planet?

NOMIA hesitates, resting itself on the ground.

> If you're not going to answer, then don't.

"If you get enough resources and repair the spaceship, I will guide you home."

> Do you mean it?

"NOMIA is a robot made for humanity. No human should be labelled as missing in action under NOMIA's care."

You hold out your pinky. It's a childish thing to do for someone your age, but promises are important.

> Pinky promise?

"Pinky promise."

NOMIA gently butts its head against your gloved pinky.

Your stomach growls again, breaking the silence.

> Let's go blast more mushrooms, shall we?