-10-

-Zoom back to the past-

~~~
Newt POV:
~~~

I was staring at the walls of the maze, it coming closer and closer to it closing and there was still no Y/n. My whole body was telling me to sprint inside but Gally was stood beside me, watching every move I made, the usual scowl on his face.

Minho and Thomas had ran off to the runner hut in a huff, both of them terrified that they had just killed their best friend. Chuck was at his hammock, crying his eyes out according to Alby who had left Frypan to comfort and watch over him.

As I stood there, Gally started to speak, "What if she doesn't make it?"

I hung my head, sighing, "I know her... she's strong. She'll make it." my lips formed a thin line and I stared forwards at the dark maze.

Can I go back in? Can I save her? Is it possible to save her? Do I even want to go back in?

My mind was filled with a frazzled mess of questions. Then there was another scream and I squeezed my eyes tighter, taking a limped step towards the doors when Gally's hand landed on my shoulder and squeezed.

"We can't Newt. You can't." his voice was cracking and his eyes stayed glued to the doors as a growl echoed through and into the glade.

I sighed again and I knew what was coming as soon as the first creek came. The doors began to close and so did my eyes. I looked away and spun on my heel just as the bang happened and the doors fully shut. A cry came from the maze and then silence.

A tear fell from my eye to the floor and Gally patted my shoulder, "She's strong. If anyone can, she can do it." he left and I sat.

My back to the glade and eyes glued to the doors. "I'm so sorry Y/n..."

~~~

-Zoom to the present-

I sighed, walking out of Y/n's small hut, her eyes still slightly darker and her lips slowly getting the bright colour back to them. I closed the door after smiling at her. I stepped outside and was immediately greeted by Chuck, Thomas and Minho who were pressing themselves up against the hut waiting to see if she was ok.

"How is she?" Thomas stepped towards.

I looked down and glanced back at the now closed door, "She's doing fine, needs food and water but doing fine."

There was an audible sigh from the group and I stepped aside to let them in.

I walked towards the Frypan's kitchen to grab some food that he had prepared for her. As I walked, the memory of waiting for Y/n to get back to the maze, listening to the maze grumble and walls move as I watched the silent, dark entrance to the maze.

I looked away again, my eyes following the walls of the maze before hearing the pained growl coming from the slammer. Ben was still there. We couldn't send him away while Y/n was missing and it was now day three of the changing. He was not doing well.

I hurried back to Y/n's hut and opened the door with my knee. The others had left a minuet ago and I walked inside to Y/n who had her head down and hand sliding against the bandage on her arm. I frowned before walking over.

"Fry whipped this up for you." I placed the tub on the table next to her and paused, "You doing okay? The boys almost crush you?" I giggled, taking a seat next to her and wrapping my arms around her waist.

She nodded, looking up and sighing, "Chuck and Thomas did but Gally was actually really upset. Normally he's a real shank when someone gets hurt." I smiled at her answer, pecking her nose with a kiss before squeezing her and standing up, "Your special to all of us. Now eat and rest. I'll give you some alone time." I walked out with a smile, feeling the heat on my cheeks and happiness filling me. She was back, safe and happy.