6

You weren't surprised when, for the next couple of days, Murphy phoned you in the evenings to check that you were alright, since he'd told you he would do so, but you still found it a bit shocking that he still cared and seemed to kind of consider you a friend somehow, but you would be lying if you said that it didn't feel kind of good to have him checking on you and having your back.

As the phone rang now, you guessed correctly that it was Murphy checking on you.

"Hi, lass!" His cheerful voice greeted you through the phone. "Ye okay?"

"Yes, I'm fine." Still no mafia had come for you, and so you had relaxed a bit, even though you were still anxious sometimes, fearful that they might come for you again in the future.

"Glad to hear that, lass...the cops left today?" Murphy asked you.

"Yes, they left this morning..." You were a bit anxious about being on your own, but you knew you couldn't have police watching over you forever.

"Aye...so ye got plans for today?" Murphy asked you, taking you aback.

"Plans...no, not really..." You were still a bit anxious at the idea of leaving your apartment on your own, but you knew you should overcome it, since you were going back to work in a couple of days.

"So yer gonna be at home?"

"I...yes, I'll be here..." You said and then heard some rustle at the other side of the line, before hearing Connor's voice.

"He's askin' 'cause he's 'bout to show up at yer door and drag me with him," he told you, and you weren't sure if he was being informative or just trying to take the piss at his brother, who you could hear cursing, followed by some more rustling as if they were fighting to take the phone from each other.

"Murphy?"

"Aye, aye, lass, me again," Murphy's voice told you before he cursed at his brother again.

"Murphy, you don't have to come just because the police left, I can't have people watching over me all the time, I have to learn to be on my own again, it's okay, I-" You began but he interrupted you.

"It's not only that lass...we'll be there soon!" He just said, hanging the phone before you could say anything else, leaving you as puzzled as grateful at Murphy's gesture.

*

Around an hour later, you heard some knocks on the window that led to the balcony of your apartment, and when you looked through it, you saw Murphy smiling and waving at you outside, while Connor rolled his eyes at him before giving you a nod, and you opened the window for them.

"Hey, lass," Murphy greeted you as he climbed into your living room.

"There're no cops outside anymore, you know you can come through the door," you told them, a bit puzzled.

"Window's nice enough." Murphy shrugged.

"And I bet ye don't wanna someone to see the Saints knockin' on yer door," Connor told you with a raised eyebrow and a smirk.

"Yes, well, it's not like seeing them knocking on my window is any less suspicious," you retorted.

"Anyway..." Murphy was walking towards the coffee table, dropping his bag on the armchair. "Told ye that we can't take ye to McGinty's for a drink...but we can take the drink to ye," he said, smiling at you before taking out of his bag a bottle of beer.

"You didn't have to..." It was nice of him, though, even if you still felt rather awkward, but Murphy just shrugged, giving you another bright smile before taking out of this bag another two bees and also a bottle of whiskey, and you wondered if he'd taken those from their friend Doc.