Chapter 1

You hummed along with a tune on the radio, fingers drumming on the steering wheel of your car, while you waited for the traffic light to turn red, looking forward to getting back home after a long shift at the hospital

Suddenly, the passenger seat door of your car opened and a man got inside. He was panting, cheeks read as if he'd been running, and at first you were so shocked and startled that you couldn't do anything but stare at him, before it sunk in that there was, indeed, a strange man on your passenger seat.

"What the hell are you doing?!" You yelled.

"Drive." That was all the man said, breathing hard.

"Get out of my car!" You screamed, wondering if you shouldn't leave the car and ask for help, but you were still in shock.

"I can't...lass, please, just drive," the man said, glancing at you with blue eyes before looking out of the window. "Shit...lass, drive!"

You followed his gaze and saw a group of men coming out of another street...they looked like trouble, the kind of men you didn't want to find on your own, you knew they were dangerous, and one of them was carrying a badly concealed gun.

"Are you hiding from them?" You asked, looking at the man in your car, wondering what was going on...he didn't look as threatening as those others, that for sure. He was young and handsome, with pretty blue eyes, he didn't look like the kind of guy who got involved with men like the others.

"Aye," he nodded, looking from the group of men to you. "They're dangerous, they're lookin' for me, please, lass, you gotta drive away from here."

You didn't know what to do...if you kicked that guy out of your car, maybe those other men who looked like mafia or something like that would hurt him...but you didn't know this man, maybe he was dangerous too, maybe he'd hurt you, maybe this was some sort of trick that he'd planned with those others and you'd end up kidnapped, or raped, or murdered, or...

"Lass, drive!" The man said urgently and you realized that the other men had spotted him inside your car and were running to it. "Come on!"

"I can't! Light's not green yet!" You still didn't know if you could trust that guy, but you liked even less how those others looked, and they were running to your car...and you couldn't just kick the other guy out of the car if there was a chance that those men would hurt him, even if he was a stranger, even if he might be dangerous...you just couldn't.

"Drive!"

The traffic light finally turned green, right on time when those dangerous-looking men were almost on your car, and so you drove, trying to go as fast as you could, considering the traffic, wanting to leave them behind.

"Thanks, lass, thank ye," the man said.

"What the hell is going on!" You pretty much yelled. "Who are those guys!"