FIFTEEN

Cassie sighs when she feels pressure on the side of her neck. She furrows her brows, stirring slightly as she rolls on her back.

Her eyes open when she feels weight on top of her.

"What the fuck?" She laughs, looking down at Michael as he's laying on top of her. "Dude, what?"

"You never came to bed." He mumbles, nestling his head in the crook of her neck while she's on the couch. She dozed off after she started writing a new song.

"Sorry." She whispers, running her fingers through his hair. "Got in deep, y'know."

"Mhm." He nods sleepily, sliding his hand under her shirt.

Cassie smiles to herself, kissing the top of his head sweetly, her other hand running over his back.

It's been a while since they were both on a slow down in their schedules and it's nice to be together again.

Since they got engaged, they've rarely seen each other but none of that matters right now.

They're together.

+++

"I'm gettin' burned out." Cassie sighs. "I don't wanna write anymore right now."

"We could take a vacation." Michael suggests. "Getcha outta the house."

"No, then I'd get behind-"

"Babe, you need to take a break, okay?"

"I- I know but-"

"No buts." Michael says, leaning up as he types on his laptop. "Where do you want to go?"

"The stars."

"Okay Kate Winslet."

She laughs. "I dunno. The beach. Florida?"

"Okay, what part?"

"Port St. Joe. Yeah, Port St. Joe." She nods to herself. "Baby, we need a break. Both of us need a break."

"Port St. Joe?"

"Port St. Joe."

+++

"Oh, man, I am so excited for this trip!" Cassie beams, squirming slightly in her chair. "Five days of that hot Florida sun, the beach, no responsibilities, ugh."

Michael smiles, patting her knee. "And it's just us." He waggles his eyebrows then laughs. "You deserve this."

"We deserve this."

She smiles, her head on his shoulder as they wait for their group to be called to board.

Once they're settled in their seats, Cassie turns to Michael. "Thanks for lookin' out for me."

"That's what I do." He replies, taking her hand. "That's what I've always done."

"What do you mean?"

"Ever since we met, I've always looked out for you."

She chuckles. "Even when I was four and you were five?"

"Even when you were four and I was five."

Cassie's heart swells. "I don't deserve you." He looks away to hide a bashful smile. "I love you, Michael."

"I love you too, Cass." He leans over and kisses her sweetly. "Five hours until we're in Florida."

"Five?"

"Layover in Houston."

"Ah." She nods. "Well, wake me up when we're in Texas."

+++