SIX

"So whatcha got, Cassie Leigh?" Ernest asks as he sits on the couch next to her.

"Here. I wrote this a couple days ago." She hits play on her laptop and her voice fills the speakers.

"Every time we have to say goodbye
I'm counting down until we say hello
Every touch is like the strongest drug
I don't know how much longer I can go..."

Ernest lets out a little squeak. "Ooo, I love this already!"

Cassie laughs as she hits pause. "I like writing love type songs." She shrugs like she's embarrassed about it. "Anti-love, true love, y'know."

"I totally get that."

She sighs as she leans back on the couch and closes her eyes. "I got the chorus but I dunno how I feel about it."

"Play it."

"...You're like that cigarette. That shot of 100 proof. No matter how much I get, I'm always craving that feeling when we kiss, the way your body moves. No matter how much I get, I'm always craving you, craving you..."

"Woah, that's good." Ernest nods. "Kinda sexy, spicy typa thing."

Cassie nods with a slight blush. "And y'know metaphors and everything, it's just easier I guess."

The two sit and work on her first professional song together and she is just so nervous. She doesn't want to sound like an idiot or anything.

There's a soft knock on the door.

"Yeah?" Ernest asks, his eyes down on the notebook in front of him.

"Hey, just wanted to see how it was goin'." Morgan says timidly, a light purple bruise gracing his handsome face.

"What the hell happened to you?"

"Bar fight." He answers with a quiet chuckle. "Definitely deserved it."

Cassie scoffs out a laugh.

"You goin' in or not?"

Morgan glances behind him then snorts, playfully pushing Michael back before stepping further into the room.

"How's it goin?" Michael asks, sitting on the couch next to Cassie.

"This little lady's got such a bright mind."

"Oh, god I know. Imagine you're sixteen and tryna keep up with her." Michael teases, elbowing her gently. "So what're y'all workin on?"

Ernest reaches forward to hit play but Cassie stops him, suddenly feeling very awkward about her work.

"Uh, it's not done yet." She says, shutting her laptop.

"So?" Ernest chuckles. "We're a team, Cassie."

"Hey." Michael's voice is like a fish hook to her ear. "I know that look. Nobody here is going to make fun of you or tease you or shit on your song, okay?"

Cassie can't help the smile that grows on her lips. She locks eyes with him before opening her laptop to hit play.

Within an hour or two, the guys have the chords structured and Cassie's lyrics in the right spot.

The next step is probably to have it recorded but she doesn't think this fits any of them.

"Thomas Rhett." Morgan says.

"Oh yeah." Ernest nods. "This is for sure him."

"You think so?" Michael asks.

"Oh yeah." Morgan and Ernest laugh. "I'll call him."

Morgan excuses himself, as does Ernest, leaving the two lovebirds alone.

"Cass, you gotta relax 'round here. We're here to help each other, not take all the credit."

"I'm- I'm tryna get used to it. This is the first time someone has listened to a song I've wrote, Michael. My ass is sweating."

Michael laughs and shakes his head, wrapping an arm around her shoulders. "You're doin' great, baby. Really."

The nickname makes her cheeks flush just as the door opens.

"TR is in." Morgan pulls a goofy face. "Shit, baby, I dunno how you do it but the songs you put out so far are amazing."

"What did you call me?"

It's Morgan's turn to blush and man does he. "It's- yknow- whoops."

"You goy a girlfriend, man. Don't make me kick your ass again." Cassie threatens.

"You didn't kick my ass once. I let you hit me."

"Oh please. You were shakin' on the floor."

Michael snorts, looking away because he knows it's true. Morgan looked terrified and it was lowkey funny.

Morgan is speechless.

His already flushed cheeks get darker as he steps out of the room to collect himself. Michael can't help the chuckle that falls from his lips.

"You know we're best friends now, right?" Morgan suddenly says, peeking around the corner.

"Me?" Cassie raises her eyebrows.

"Yeah. There ain't nothin' you can do 'bout it."

"I wanna meet Haley. Us two and you two."

"What? Like a double date?" Morgan asks.

"Sure." Cassie says, crossing her arms. "This weekend."

"Okay."

Michael glances at Cassie then to Morgan. "I'm game."

Morgan gives his best friend the dirtiest look he's ever made.

"It's a date." Cassie confirms before standing.

When the door shuts behind her, Morgan immediately gives Michael a punch to the arm. "Dude, what-!?"

"Ow, what the hell!?" Michael shouts, rubbing his sore bicep.

"What the hell, me!? What the hell, you!" Morgan gets to his feet. "I ain't told her that I cheated on her and now- and now Cassie and Haley are gonna be- what the hell!?"

"Hey, that's all on you, man." Michael shakes his head. "You fucked up and I ain't gonna help you with it."

Morgan groans as he runs a hand through his hair. "Son of a bitch."

+++

Cravin' You - Thomas Rhett