CHAPTER THREE: PREPARATIONS

I had no idea what to wear. Of course, a dress and high heels. Stating that I didn't have anything suitable in the wardrobe, I called Barb. Due to the fact that we wore the same size, we often borrowed clothes from each other. Barb had a bigger assortment, and a bigger budget, but she was never mad at me that I borrowed from her more often.

So on Friday I went to her to choose an outfit. I was greeted at the door by her, and she was beaming; I had the impression that she was happier with the wedding to which I was invited, than I was.

"Maybe the beige one?" she began, bringing piles of more dresses to the couch. "Possibly the blue one that suits your face. Or not," her eyes gleamed with light. "I know, wait..."

Barb ran to the wardrobe and disappeared inside.

"I'm sure one of them will be good," I muttered, looking at the dozen dresses scattered on the couch. "I just need to start trying on."

"Only try on those you like", a friend from the next room scolded me.

I took a deep breath; I really found all of them beautiful. Well, maybe apart from this one... I put the navel-neck dress aside.

"Short or long?" I asked Barb.

"I always wear long dresses for weddings, they're more elegant."

Suddenly, I heard a scream of joy.

"I have it," Barb emerged from the wardrobe with a big smile on her lips. She was holding a silver dress that shimmered as if it was all made of tiny diamonds. It was tight, only widening at the bottom, like a mermaid's dress. "Do you like it?" she asked me.

I liked it. Even a lot. But I wasn't sure if it was suitable for a wedding, when I was supposed to be just a guest.

"She's even too pretty," I muttered shyly. " I'd outshine the bride."

Barb made a sad face.

"You're right," she tossed the dress on the couch as if nothing had happened, and went back to the wardrobe.

"How long have you been with Bozo?" my friend asked me.

"Er," I started, thinking hard. On the one hand, I wanted to come up with something credible, on the other hand, I didn't want to lie. In the end, I  said half-truth. "Not Bozo, actually. We've known each other a few days and recently he told me his real name."

"Real name? " Barb left the wardrobe with two dresses in her hands. Her eyes were wide open; she was excited. "What was he lying for?"

"He was ashamed," I replied.

She wrinkled her nose. She didn't understand.

"His name's Cosmo," I said, adding immediately. "So he tells everyone a middle name, because although it's weird, it is a bit less weirder than the real one. But actually now more and more children are starting to have it, so..." I shrugged. Even I was starting to believe what I was saying and maybe that's why Barb believed it.

"There's such a name?" she laughed, handing me a lime green knee-length gown.

"Apparently," we exchanged a few more sentences about Cosmo, and then I started trying on dresses. I didn't even think that choosing the right one could be so tiring. I wanted to be dressed elegantly, but at the same time stylish, and original.

The choice fell on the apricot creation. It was a beautiful, elegant dress with a slit revealing the leg. It was perfect, even better than what I was looking for.

Saturday morning I went to my sister's favorite hairdresser. A man made me an elegant bun with bangs on one side of my hair. The makeup at home was done by my sister (fortunately, Camila and Leon managed to come back  before Saturday, otherwise I would have to do my own makeup and it certainly wouldn't be good for me). My sister had a professional make-up kit with brushes and she loved testing every, even the craziest idea on me. Today, however, at my request, she opted for simplicity, thanks to which I had underlined eyes and slightly pink cheeks. I was ashamed to brag like that, but when I put my dress on and looked at the mirror, I realized that I had never been so beautiful before. It's amazing how a woman can change under the influence of hairstyle, makeup and clothes. I always said that there are no ugly women, they are just underfunded... Even Leon, who usually didn't see the world except my sister, gave me a compliment saying that he finally sees a similarity between Camila and me. As for him, it was a real compliment. Leon and I liked to tease each other a lot since we lived together,

I left the flat on time. I had nothing with me except a purse - I assumed that since Cosmo invited me, he also prepared a gift for the bride and groom and I didn't have to worry about it. I didn't even take the phone with me - after all, I didn't exchange the number with the man, so I had no one to call if it turned out that Cosmo would set me up.

For a moment, I even thought so. For a few minutes, when no one was coming, I thought that my date wouldn't work out and I would have to go back to the apartment right away, explaining to Camila and then Barb that Cosmo had got food poisoning, so he cancelled our meeting. Then I would have to make up something why I never saw him again.

Suddenly, I heard a noise. It was the car heading in my direction, and although I hadn't seen who was behind the wheel of the car yet, I knew it was Cosmo. My heart felt that it was him, not so much from the excitement that I would see him, but from curiosity how he would react when he saw me. Will he like it? Did I choose the dress, hairstyle and makeup correctly? Or maybe we'll quarrel before going to church and, crying, I'll return upstairs to my sister?

The car stopped. At first I didn't recognize him when he got out of the Mercedes. He was tall, that was correct. He had a little stubble, and I remembered that too. His clothes, however, didn't match what I remembered. No leather or boots. He replaced them with a suit.

Amazing, I thought. He looks great.

Maybe if he wore ill-tailored outfits, mismatched shoes, and had bloodshot eyes, it would be easier for me to say hello. Unfortunately, I was speechless. He was a different man. A completely handsome and hot man in his twenties.

"Wow," he said, handing me something. "You look amazing," I only realized now that I got flowers. I looked down at the roses.

"Thank you," I mumbled intimidated. I was convinced that my flushed cheeks were the color of the flowers now.

"Wow", he, too, was amazed. "I noticed that you're a chick, but that you're so..."

I said nothing to that, just allowed myself to open the car door. He politely closed them behind me when I took my seat and he got in a moment later.