Chemical Attraction Chapter 1

Copyright © 2011 hopelessromantic1993

All rights reserved.

COPYRIGHT: This story "Chemical Attraction" including all chapters, prologues/epilogues and associated content (ie. fanfics, teasers,  and content within blogs, social networks and eReaders) is copyrighted under the Copyright, Designs and Patents Act 1988. All rights are reserved by the owner and creator of this work (hopelessromantic1993) and any unauthorised copying, broadcasting, manipulation, distribution  or selling of this work constitutes as an infringement of copyright. Any infringment of this copyright is punishable by law.

****************************************************************************************

Hi everyone, thanks for clicking on my story! This is a first draft of my story, and will be edited and improved once it is finished. Hope you enjoy!  This is a student/teacher relationship, as stated in the title. If you don't feel comfortable reading this material, please don't read on.

Chapter 1

I sat bolt upright in my bed, sweat glistening on my body, my eyes glazed over as my mind still reeled over the nightmare. It was the same one, every night, but I never got used to it. That perfect moment, everyone laughing... snatched from my grasp forever by a joy rider. My whole family - gone.

I shakily wiped my face with my pyjama sleeve and closed my eyes, feeling the tears collecting under my eyelids. Words could not describe how much I missed them- my parents and my little brother, Jamie. He was only five years old, dead before he got a chance to really live.

Sighing heavily, I rolled over in bed and glanced at the time. The eerie green numbers glowed in the dark- 3:46am.

'Crap.'

There were many hours to go before dawn but I was reluctant to try and sleep, recoiling from the nightmare that still lingered in my mind. My mind that was scarred from the horror of the crash, leaving me traumatised with not a single person to help me through.

I was completely abandoned.

Alone.

The doctors and my social workers had tried to help, but I’d found it impossible to open up to a complete stranger, preferring to bottle up my pain. In the end, the doctors had decided it would be best to give me a new start, fresh and clean, away from the painful memories of my home. Tonight was my last night here. My home had already been sold; all my belongings were packed up, and would be moved into temporary storage. And I had been enrolled into a boarding school, over a hundred miles away. I started today.

'Only a few more hours at home,' I thought to myself, taking another glace at my alarm clock.

My stomach twisted with nerves and I bit my lip in anxiety. I wasn't good with meeting new people at the best of times and was frequently teased by my old friends as being a little bit of a social loser. Right now, with the death of my family so fresh in my mind, it felt like too much to deal with.

'Chin up, Phoebe,' I told myself sternly. 'Life can't really get much worse.'

I reached over and clicked on my bedside lamp, blinking my eyes at the sudden brightness. Scrambling out of bed clumsily, I padded out of my room, down the dimly lit hallway and into the bathroom. I needed a shower to relax myself, so I quickly stripped down and stepped in, shivering slightly from the cold. I took my time, revelling in the warmth, and leisurely washed my body and hair.

Once I had finished, I wrapped myself in my soft, pink towel and wiped the steamed up mirror. Examining my reflection, I smiled slightly, sad and wistful.  I recognised features from my family in my face, my bright green eyes came from my mum, my slightly tanned skin from my dad and my hair was exactly the same shade of dark brown as Jamie's. It was long and straight, with a side fringe and still dripping slightly from the shower. I dried my hair and brushed it through, before returning to my bedroom and changing into my new school uniform. It was pretty decent actually, a typical black skirt, with a white shirt and blue jumper with the school crest.

I gazed around my room slowly, all my clothes packed into suitcases and my belongings packed into boxes. Since I was keeping permanent residence at the school, I had been allowed to bring all my possessions, which would be kept in storage unless I needed things urgently. I glanced once more at my clock, which now read 5:24am, and heaved a sigh. Strolling over to my window, I stood and watched the sky gradually turn lighter, hazy at first until the sun broke over the horizon in the distance. I watched the sky turn bluer, and the sun grow brighter, listening to the birds singing in the hedgerows. I hummed tunelessly, and my mind wandered away to happier times.

*******************

Around 10 o'clock, my social worker, Pauline arrived to see me, along with a small removal van for my luggage. She was a plump, warm-hearted woman, but considering the circumstances, meeting with her left a rather sour taste in my mouth. I wasn’t sad to be leaving her care.

 It didn't take long to load up; I had surprisingly little stuff once I got rid of all the junk that had cluttered up my room. We clambered into the van, and I rested my head against the window, gazing outwards as we drove off. I didn't look back once. There was nothing good left for me back there, only pain and sadness.

"So are you sad to be leaving, then? Worried about the new school?" asked Pauline, glancing my way with concern. I shrugged vaguely, and fidgeted awkwardly in my seat.

"Don't worry, love, you’ll do fine there. This school is known for its excellence and you should settle down very quickly. Everyone there is very nice and should make you feel welcome." She carried on talking, regardless of the fact that I wasn't responding.

"I'm sure this is for the best. After all, you couldn't really stay in that house by yourself, with no supervision. This way makes more sense, there’s even a school councillor you can talk to, if it all becomes too much..."

I rolled my eyes as she blathered on. 'Maybe she would shut up if I pretended to sleep and snored, just to make it really obvious.' I thought wearily. I wasn't in the mood for conversation.

Three hours later, long after the one-sided exchange had lapsed into awkward silence, we arrived at the boarding school. A smart looking sign at the front of the drive by the gates read, 'Chinsworth Academy'. I raised my eyebrows, slightly puzzled as I took in the huge mansion with the green lawns surrounding the drive. I hadn't realised the school was so posh, surely this was too expensive for me?

"How on earth can you afford to send me here?" I asked, as we pulled up in front of the grandiose doors.

"Your parents left some money to support your education in their will, along with the money you will receive once you become a legal adult. There is plenty enough to fulfil your education here, so you needn't worry about anything like that." She smiled kindly at me before climbing out and starting to unload the van.

"Oh," I replied lamely and followed suit. Once we finished, she checked her watch, looked at me apologetically and said, "I'm afraid I've got to go. I have an important meeting at six and I really can't miss it."

"That's okay," I swiftly answered. “I can manage.”

With a quick goodbye, I waved as she drove the van back up the driveway, too pre-occupied to hear the doors opening behind me. The sound of a man clearing his throat before saying in a deep, masculine voice, "Welcome to Chinsworth Academy, I hope you will be happy here," drew my attention and I span around. My bright green eyes locked with the warmest pair of brown eyes I had ever seen, and the world fell away.