18: frozen pizza

"That hardly looks like dinner

"That hardly looks like dinner."

--☆--☆--☆--

Rory and Cassie were sitting at the dining room table with their books in front of them. Well actually, Cassie was reading while Rory was staring at her, waiting for her to break down and tell her all about Josh. She knew Cassie would break eventually. Cassie couldn't keep a secret for the life of her, especially not from Rory. 

Emily was on the phone, pacing around the room while Richard sat in the living room with a newspaper in his hand. Richard always seemed to have a newspaper. It made Cassie wonder if he was actually reading the paper or if he just held it up so he wouldn't have to talk to anyone. If that was true then Cassie respected him deeply for it.

"I don't understand why you waited so long to call," Emily said into the phone. "Are you sure?... Fine.... All right. Yes. Goodbye," Emily hung up the phone then walked over to Richard. "Well, I don't know what I'm gonna do now."

"What's the problem, Emily?"

"The problem is that apparently Florence cannot get here because of the storm," Emily told her husband.

"Florence?"

"Our cook."

"Oh," Richard sighed as he flipped the pages in his newspaper. "Well, we'll just have to go out then."

"Oh please. Richard, pay attention. We can't go out. It's miserable out there."

"Cassie," Rory whispered, only to get ignored.

"We'll figure something out," Richard said, still not looking up from his newspaper.

"What? What will we figure out? I hate the damn snow," Emily said, shaking her head.

"Emily, calm down."

"Cassie," Rory tried to get her sister's attention again, but once again, nothing.

"This is a serious problem," Emily said, now in distress. "These Friday dinners are the only proper food those girls eat all week."

"Rory, Cassidy, are you in any way malnourished or in need of some international relief organization to recruit a celebrity to raise money on your account?" Richard asked them, still not looking up from his magazine.

"I'm good."

"All sunshines over here Grandpa," Cassie told him.

"They're good, Emily."

Emily shook her head at her husband. "Your sense of humor rears its ugly head at the oddest of times Richard."

"Emily, I am not the mastermind behind some great scheme to spoil your dinner plans and I don't care to be treated as such."