16: Oompa Loompa love

"I'll try not to hate you."

--☆--☆--☆--

Josh pulled in front of the house right as Lorelai began walking away from their neighbor's Babette and Morey's. Cassie muttered a quiet "oh shit" when her mom saw her. Lorelai smiled, laughing quietly to herself when she saw the panicked look on her face.

"Isn't that your..."

"My mom? Yes, yes it is," Cassie said quietly then Lorelai walked over to the car.

Josh smiled nervously as he rolled the window down, allowing Lorelai to speak to her daughter and the mystery boy she was with. "Hey."

"I was just coming in," Cassie told her. "Um... Mom this Josh, he goes to Chilton," Cassie said nervously seeing the mischievous look in her mother's eye.

"Really? What brings you out to Stars Hollow?" Lorelai asked him.

"We were studying," Josh told her, keeping a polite smile on his face.

"Studying?" Lorelai's head tilted to the side as she looked at her daughter with a worried look.

"Chemistry, and English," Cassie told her, trying to ease her mother's nerves. "We were at Luke's the entire time."

"Oh, well Josh, do you want to come inside?" Lorelai asked him, going back to the cool mom and not the nervous mom. Cassie shook her head, she wasn't ready for Joshua Dawson in her house. "Rory's got a friend over too and we have tons of food and Willy Wonka," Lorelai told him.

Josh looked over at Cassie, trying to figure out what she thought about all of this. She smiled awkwardly, not knowing what to do. "You don't have to," Cassie told him.

"Yeah, I'm supposed to meet up with Tristan..." Josh said almost sadly, like he'd rather spend his Saturday night with the Gilmore Girls.

"Don't worry about it," Cassie told him. "You aren't ready for movie night with the Gilmores," She said with a smile.

"Oh you underestimate me," Josh replied with his iconic smirk.

"Mhm," Cassie opened the car door and got out.

Josh watched from his car as Lorelai put her arm around her daughter's shoulder, the two of them walking to their front door. They heard the sound of Josh driving away and then Lorelai turned to look at her youngest daughter.

"So he's the reason you wore your nice top?" Lorelai asked her.

"No," Cassie said quietly, not keeping eye contact with her mom. "Maybe..."